How to treat snoring

daphne2013

My roommate always snore when she fell asleep, every night I have been awakened by her snoring many times. Cause I sleep very bad. She is just 23 years old. I thought old people may have this symptom, but...

I want to help her to ask how to treat snoring?

What should be paid attention to in daily life?

Snoring can be a symptom of a more serious condition. Best practice is to always see your doctor (this goes for everybody) for a professional diagnosis on any health matter. If the doctor thinks the snoring is affecting your health, insurance will usually pay for a sleep study to assess individual habits and occurrences. Any advice given on the internet can't take specific circumstances into account.

Does your roommate get enough sleep? Fatigue can contribute to snoring if she's working too hard.

Does she drink enough water? Proper hydration keeps tissue and mucus from getting sticky.

Does she drink alcohol before going to bed? Too much relaxes muscles in her throat that vibrate as she breathes.

Has she gained some weight recently? If the snoring came with the weight, it could be occluding her airways.

Has she tried sleeping in a different position? Lying on her back probably triggers snoring more often, so lying on her side could help.

You could try earplugs - or throw some rolled up socks at her head when she wakes you up snoring tongue.png

I've heard of people taping a tennis ball to their pajama back to keep them from rolling over, but a contact trigger there that fires a catapult filled with rolled-up socks sounds like more fun!

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, and provided a device to help my breathing at night. During the my sleep study, I awoke 183 times in 6 hours, not enough to regain consciousness but enough to take a breath. When fully asleep I stopped breathing. Consequently, I was not functioning very well when I was awake, because I always needed more sleep.

If your room mate suffers from sleep apnea, it can cause serious consequences even life threatening consequences, and she really should see a physician about it.