Better than Binary?

zeon23445

Maybe thinking of Binary Translation? Includes both static and dynamic binary translation.

Ternary and reversible logic gates are what tends to come up most often when talking about quantum computing.

Most systems have some sort of trade-off, though I think reversible logic gates have a lot of promise.

Edited by Endy0816

Binary is a number system, not a language. The reason it is used is silicon switches have only two states, on and off corresponding to 1 and 0 of binary, which means binary and silicon switches match perfectly. If switches are used that have more than two states, then another number system should be used, one that matches the switch.

Edited by EdEarl

I'd like to add that unless you specify your measure of efficiency, the entire question is pointless anyway. Efficient at run time? Efficient at compiling? Efficient for the developer? That's a bit like asking if there are any faster routes to a destination without specifying the destination itself.

Binary is a number system, not a language. The reason it is used is silicon switches have only two states, on and off corresponding to 1 and 0 of binary, which means binary and silicon switches match perfectly. If switches are used that have more than two states, then another number system should be used, one that matches the switch.

Yes all of that!

Computers aren't built on 2-state systems because someone wanted to use binary, we use binary because it represents the two states that the computer systems understand. Also binary is not so difficult to understand, especially when used in conjunction with hexadecimal :)

When we build a computer that uses 3-state tubes, we use tertiary system (that's base 3) to represent the states.

If we built a 10-state quantum computer, we would use a 10-base system.

That's as far as that goes

Is there a computer language that can be more efficient?

Computer language more efficient than what? In what sense/way, as in what aspect of efficiency are you talking about? Or is it a general question, like is there an efficiency in which one computer language would be more efficient than another one. In which case, i would say that regardless of the languages in question, theoretically, since i know of no law that allows one to reach the limit of efficiency; yes, there is a language that is more efficient than any other language in some way.