braces don't work?

Ice-cream

I know that the best age for getting braces is around 10 to 14 years old but I heard that if you get your braces later than that age range, its possible for your teeth to revert back to what they were (in other words a waste of time adn money) before you wore your braces. so even though your teeth will be fixed in good positions when you wear your braces, maybe after a year or few years....your teeth will just revert back to the crooked positions they were before. Does any1 know if that is true?

That will happen even if you are in the 10-14 years old range. That's why retainers are used for a while after braces are taken off. The roots of your teeth need to readjust themselves so that they won't revert back.

• 1 month later...

I had braces for three years. Retainers are a good idea, but if you forget to keep them in for a period of time your teeth with start going back to the way that they were. Hence why I still have a gap between my teeth, but when I wear my retainer every night, i have nice non-gappy teeth.

yep when i had braces, after i had them taken off he said i had to wear the retainer every night. but every so often i forgot and when i went to put it in agiain it was quite hard - you could tell that the teeth were trying to revert back.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never had a brace, but I thought that the dentist removed some back teeth to allow the teeth to straighten up with the use of a brace, and just kinda presumed that once the brace was removed the teeth would be fine. Ya learn something new everyday :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am 16, and have braces for a whlie now. I'm to get them off in 6 weeks.

I'll need a retainer for a logn time. Also, the bottom teeth tend to move A LOT MORE.

So they put a wire in at the bottom, whiich is to stay there for years!

the only way they can shift back is if you have a tongue thrust.

which is when you swallow your tongue pushes against your teeth, if you had that, then your braces would be pointless, for the first time at least.

that is what happend to me, then i had to go to an orofacialmyologist (or something along those lines) and he helped me, then i got my braces on again, and now im wearing my retainer :)

Just try and keep the same doctor for the whole process. I switch states so often during that time that each doctor tryed to improve on the last one, complicating things horribly. My teeth were terrible, they're useable now, but far from what they should have been for the ammount of work put in.

Strangely, I ran out of doctors at the end, so I never had anyone to tell me to stop using my retainer. I think I gave it up on my own and then felt guilty for a few years ;)