Is there a valid reason on going to war?

the GardenGnome

Originally posted by fafalone

What are you talking about?

You're wrong, sorry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Sayonara³

No I didn't. I was talking about you, not the war.

[2]So they can be shot in the back while doing so? You're still wrong.

[3]No I didn't. I was talking about you, not the war.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) He's saying there is no such thing as a "voluntary human shield" in Iraq. If they say no and leave, they will be shot (hence, shot in the back).

3) The US is bound to UN laws as well, and that we cannot argue that we are going to war because Iraq broke UN laws [which it *technically isn't bound by (excluding its cease-fire)], because we are breaking UN law ourselves.

Thats a good point, so I don't think we should be going around saying we're toppling saddam because he can't obey the "law".

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You conveniently disregard the facts that Iraq is executing POWs in cold blood.

You conveniently disregard the fact that if people really didn't want to be human shields they'd move.

is this honestly your point of view? I am astounded if it is.

evidence of executions please. I don't just want to hear any old propaganda.

they'd move? where to? since it is clear that trying to escape where they are (eg. basra) would only result in them getting shot. or perhaps their families would get shot. or perhaps if they refuse to do something that they are told they will get shot. perhaps attempting to cross through the medina division (while they were there) would have resulted in them getting shot.

The fedayeen are very nasty people: do not underestimate the power of having a gun to your head in getting you to do things that you don't really want to do.

@blike: The analysis you posted is really great. It's right, weh cannot stop the war, that's sad, but it's the way we have to accept it by now. But how this war will be accounted for in future is really an interesting question.

Originally posted by Radical Edward

is this honestly your point of view? I am astounded if it is.

evidence of executions please. I don't just want to hear any old propaganda.

they'd move? where to? since it is clear that trying to escape where they are (eg. basra) would only result in them getting shot. or perhaps their families would get shot. or perhaps if they refuse to do something that they are told they will get shot. perhaps attempting to cross through the medina division (while they were there) would have resulted in them getting shot.

The fedayeen are very nasty people: do not underestimate the power of having a gun to your head in getting you to do things that you don't really want to do.

GSWs to the head on footage of soldiers aired on Al-Jazeera; unlikely to be from battle (helmet? would at least make the wound less neat). It's clear at least one of them is still bleeding out, so it had to be recent. I'll send you the video if you'd like.

And the brutality of groups like the fedayeen is even more of a reason to take out this regime.

GSWs to the head on footage of soldiers aired on Al-Jazeera; unlikely to be from battle (helmet? would at least make the wound less neat). It's clear at least one of them is still bleeding out, so it had to be recent. I'll send you the video if you'd like.

And the brutality of groups like the fedayeen is even more of a reason to take out this regime.

no no, that's fine. just so long as there is evidence. I hear too many people making unsubstantiated claims about the war, and then can never back it up.

and yes, groups like the fedayeen are exactly the sort of reason saddam should be removed, I was merely contesting your point that people would move if they didn't want to be human shields, by utilising the fedayeen as evidence that often they don't have that choice.

and yes, groups like the fedayeen are exactly the sort of reason saddam should be removed, I was merely contesting your point that people would move if they didn't want to be human shields, by utilising the fedayeen as evidence that often they don't have that choice.

The SAS and the Navy Seals would never shoot people in the head though, so they're OK and we can keep them about the place because they are handy.

[edit - commentary on such groups, not on your post ;) ]

Originally posted by Sayonara?

The SAS and the Navy Seals would never shoot people in the head though, so they're OK and we can keep them about the place because they are handy.

[edit - commentary on such groups, not on your post ;) ]

Thats because its not painful enough, duh ;)

Originally posted by Sayonara³

You conveniently disregard the fact that the US is a member of the UN security council and bound by the rules of the UN, rules it is currently ignoring, whereas Iraq is not a UN member and is not bound by those rules.

WRONG.

I began getting suspicious about this from the fact the "Iraq's ambassador to the UN" said the war was over today, so I checked it out.

http://www.un.org/Overview/unmember.html

Iraq IS A UN MEMBER, and has been a member since Dec. 21, 1945. Hence they are bound to all resolutions regarding their weapons.

DAMN YOU!

Well then I guess it's all ok. If Iraq can break the rules, then it's completely justifiable for the USA to break the rules as well.

Wow, The US are just like a rogue cop pushed too far, driven to avenge the brutal murder of their wife.

so is the US.

Right. And did the UN forbid any preventative wars?

I mean, the coalition forces freed the Iraqi people, that's really great. Saddam's deeds and his cruelty might justify such a war. But the other reasons accounting for a war fought by the US do not seem to apply. I mean, if this war was really thought in order to secure national security of the US this was an preventative war and that is not jstified, it's even worse. Thus the US is in the same situation the Iraq was in: Disobeying UN decisions. What I am trying to say is that the many reasons the US used as accountance for a war are mostly senseless and some even worse. The only, really applying reason is the intention to establish a freed Iraq. This is - in my eyes - justified, I mean, we did so in Kosovo and other countries as well.

However, this does not really justify the means. Cluster bombs are certainly not that perfect weapons for freeing a state.

just a couple of things... what UN decisions has the US disobeyed exactly? from what I can see, the US has been upholding UN decisions by inflicting serious consequences on Iraq because it didn't comply with resolution 1441.

furthermore, why the consistent focus on cluster bombs? afaik they have not been used that often this time round, and not often near civilian areas. I have only heard reports of them being used twice. Is the German Press going on about them or something? despite living here I don't actually read any German papers or watch the German news!

Hm, then they have been acting in this manner for some time? That's not really that good. I mean imagine, a state would decide to do something which is against important regulations in the country's constitution (human rights etc). Wouldn't be that great, I think.

Originally posted by Matzi

I've seen reports on use of cluster bombs more than once. But anyway, I want use this only as example.

your empahasis on it though makes it sound as if cluster bombs have been reining down over residential neigbourhoods for the past three weeks....

your empahasis on it though makes it sound as if cluster bombs have been reining down over residential neigbourhoods for the past three weeks....

1) Can you prove the opposite?

2) Such things happen when you emphasize something, that's the use of an emphasis and everybody does so. I mean, was the world (and especially American national security) really threatened by Saddam's alleged ABC weapons?

1) of course not, I can't prove anything. but it has not been widely reported in any media I have seen, so I strongly doubt it.

2) I don't believe it was threatened, no. But that is not the point, the point is that he wasn't complying with UN resolutions. Everybody knows he used to have them, and if he unilaterally destroyed them, like he said he didn, then why didn'T he just point this out in the first place? If he did, then right now, he could be passing his load into a gold plated toilet in one of his opulent palaces, knowing that his secret police are merrily going about their business torturing poor people because they pray too much.

that is about my position. I disagree with the reasons we went to war, however the war itself was not really a bad thing, in that it Got rid of saddam. Now the hypocrisy starts though, beceuse we* won't be going to war with any other equally bad regiemes that need getting rid of, and we will still be paying them large lumps of money in order to opress their people.

*we this time, being the west as a whole - both those for and against the war.