water testing

Fionn

I am interested in testing a number of water samples from different sources and determining what chemicals/pollutants may be in the samples. Would I be able to do this with an IR spectrometer? I used one years ago as a biology major but it has been a long time. I think I could re-educate myself on their use.

You would more likely use AA and maybe mass spec. I don't have much to do with it personally, but the institute I work for uses ICP machines for testing metals and other trace elements. I think you would use FTIR for testing for oils, but not much else. There are various wet methods for biological testing. I think titration is used for things like H2S, ion chromatography can do things like NH4+, Ca2+, etc. GC would be useful if you were looking at volatiles like methane or CO2.

What you would use depends on what kind of pollutants you want to test, really.

If you're able to look for a 'give away' element indicative of a certain contaminant, you could use Atomic Emission Spectroscopy. In forensics for example they can look for Thallium in all sorts of liquid samples using this technique.

I wouldn't use IR as a first choice.

Water absorbs a lot of IR so it restricts the range of frequencies that you can use to look for impurities.

Also IR isn't very sensitive.

If you are just going to use a spectrometer then UV would be better.

However, the real deciding factor is what sort of chemicals or pollutants you are looking for.

• 1 month later...