Problem with Schrodinger equation

cresol

I can derive the equation, i know its main features for the electron in an atom. but i dnt know the physical meaning of the wave function of an atom and i cnt distinguish between the angular and radial probability function.....please help

i cant challenge him........ he is more than i am...but thanks anyway.

Your topic, "Problem with Schrodinger equation" made me think that you challenged Schrodinger as being incorrect, instead of your having a "Question about the Schrodinger equation." smile.png

I can derive the equation, i know its main features for the electron in an atom. but i dnt know the physical meaning of the wave function of an atom and i cnt distinguish between the angular and radial probability function.....please help

pls can you help?°

...but i dnt know the physical meaning of the wave function of an atom and i cnt distinguish between the angular and radial probability function.....please help

The physical meaning is as a probability distribution; [math]|\psi|^{2}[/math] is the probability density of finding a particle in a given place at a given time. All the physical information about the partice is "hidden" in the wave function.

As for the second part, you mean you want to write the wave function as a radial part times a spherical harmonic? This will be well spelled out in any quantum mechanics book.

If you can derive the equation you will know that it follows the Hamiltonian approach to mechanics, but introducing the quantum interpretation of momentum.

This leads to a differential equation in the variation of a quantity we call [math]\Psi [/math] in space and time.

Now, [math]\Psi [/math] is a complex quantity it is not real so has no physical reality.

To obtain significance in the real world we multiply [math]\Psi [/math] by its complex conjugate and take the square root. This leads to a real number.

If we normalise this by equating the integral over the entire space to 1 we obtain ajb's quantity such that we can interpret it as the probability of finding a particle between x and (x+dx) in one dimension.

note

[math]|\Psi | = \sqrt {\Psi {\Psi ^*}} [/math]

... is a complex quantity it is not real so has no physical reality...

When a complex number represents the amplitude and phase of a sine wave, it has a strong reality and is concrete to many people, electronicians for instance.