Interstellar Space Ship

Titanium shell covered with Kevlar and then thermal ceramics on top. It would be powered by magnetic cone plasma thrusters. Using oxygen and small amounts of hydrogen. Using high powered laser pulses to ignite the fuel. There would be two cylindrical electro magnets creating an encompassing magnetic field reducing the relative mass to nil. It would have particle filter wings to collect hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen from planetary bodies having sufficient atmosphere and low enough gravitational pull to allow reentry into space without landing or being pulled to the surface. The vehicle would use batteries to start. Then a water pump to pump water through tubes and a turbine to create electricity. The turbine could also make an alternator spin to generate more electricity. The water would be sent through a system to break it down into hydrogen and oxygen providing oxygen for the craft and fuel for propulsion. It would be equipped with a waste filtration system to continually be able to reuse water until needing to gather more. The nitrogen would be used to fertilize plants to grow food and a trickle water system to keep plants watered. Also insuring no water is wasted. How feasible would a system like this be? I believe with all our current technology this could easily be created.

Edited by vstallins

Unless it's an ark ship, it needs to be going at an appreciable fraction of the speed of light in order to reach another star before the crew is too old to do anything much. At that speed, I'm not sure how much good kevlar is going to do when a space rock hits you with the equivalent force of a small nuclear bomb.

It could be equipped with radar that uses light pulses and

use high powered lasers to blast small rocks and use the radar to avoid large
bodies that could potentially destroy the ship. As it would not quite reach the
speed of light the light radar would theoretically work.

Titanium shell covered with Kevlar and then thermal ceramics on top.

why?

It would be powered by magnetic cone plasma thrusters. Using oxygen and small amounts of hydrogen.

What does this mean?

Using high powered laser pulses to ignite the fuel.

How does this help?

There would be two cylindrical electro magnets creating an encompassing magnetic field reducing the relative mass to nil.

How does this work exactly?

It would have particle filter wings to collect hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen from planetary bodies having sufficient atmosphere and low enough gravitational pull to allow reentry into space without landing or being pulled to the surface.

So we are talking about chemical energy here?

The vehicle would use batteries to start. Then a water pump to pump water through tubes and a turbine to create electricity. The turbine could also make an alternator spin to generate more electricity. The water would be sent through a system to break it down into hydrogen and oxygen providing oxygen for the craft and fuel for propulsion.

That sounds more than a bit like perpetual motion...

It would be equipped with a waste filtration system to continually be able to reuse water until needing to gather more. The nitrogen would be used to fertilize plants to grow food and a trickle water system to keep plants watered. Also insuring no water is wasted. How feasible would a system like this be? I believe with all our current technology this could easily be created.

You might be able to do this last bit.

Because titanium is a strong and resilient metal but it very
light. The Kevlar would protect the inner hull in the case of an object
impacting the craft with enough power to break through the ceramic plating.
Until a spacewalk could be done to replace the ceramic plates. The ceramic
platting would protect the craft on entry and exit of atmospheres to gather
needed resources.

There are many magnetic cone plasma thrusters already in use
and development. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_propulsion_engine

The lasers allow the ignition of the oxygen and hydrogen at
very high temperatures creating a hi powered plasma thrust.

One of the magnets would be parallel to the craft and the
other would be horizontal. Using magnetism to help create a magnetic shield
around the craft. While using the magnetism to reduce the relative mass of the
craft. Kind of like bullet trains. Being as titanium is not magnetic you would
also have a layer of magnets around the hull of the craft.

It would be a chemical process to break the bonds of the H2O
into hydrogen and oxygen yes.

Something like perpetual motion but it would not be infinite.
While expelling some hydrogen and oxygen for propulsion and water for plants
and drinking. There would be a need to stop and gather more hydrogen and oxygen
to produce more water to continue the process. Solar panels can also be used to
gather more electricity if/when needed.

Because titanium is a strong and resilient metal but it very

light. The Kevlar would protect the inner hull in the case of an object

impacting the craft with enough power to break through the ceramic plating.

Until a spacewalk could be done to replace the ceramic plates. The ceramic

platting would protect the craft on entry and exit of atmospheres to gather

needed resources.

How fast are we talking about going?

There are many magnetic cone plasma thrusters already in use

and development. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_propulsion_engine

Your link appears to have nothing to do with your idea...

The lasers allow the ignition of the oxygen and hydrogen at

very high temperatures creating a hi powered plasma thrust.

Um no, the temps the hydrogen and oxygen ignite at has little to do with the amount of energy you get out of it. Hydrogen - oxygen engines have a specific impulse of about 450, heating them will not increase that very much

One of the magnets would be parallel to the craft and the

other would be horizontal. Using magnetism to help create a magnetic shield

around the craft. While using the magnetism to reduce the relative mass of the

craft. Kind of like bullet trains. Being as titanium is not magnetic you would

also have a layer of magnets around the hull of the craft.

magnets do not decrease mass in anyway...

It would be a chemical process to break the bonds of the H2O Into hydrogen and oxygen yes.

It takes energy to do that, you gain nothing from it the way you suggest

Something like perpetual motion but it would not be infinite.

While expelling some hydrogen and oxygen for propulsion and water for plants

and drinking. There would be a need to stop and gather more hydrogen and oxygen

to produce more water to continue the process. Solar panels can also be used to

gather more electricity if/when needed.

The set up you describe would not make the process anything but less efficient..

Oh, and there is no solar power in interstellar space...

About 500,000mph

The link is detailing plasma thrusters. They use the
thrusters I suggest using for the craft.

Nothing to do with the combustion temps. More as to do with
the plasma generated and the thrust generated.

Magnets do not decrease mass but they can be used to create
a relative weightlessness to an object. Basically the magnets are used to
generate resistances to one another generating a relative hovering ability.

It would take energy to do this yes but with enough constant
electricity being generated it would be feasible. This would be essential to
continuously have fuel and water needed for the trip.

It may seem less efficient but in space one must weigh the
pros and cons to meet survival needs. This would need to be done to continuously
travel and so would stopping to gather needed resources. Because nothing last
forever.

About 500,000mph

so that's about 0.000762 c not really fast enough for interstellar travel. It would take about 4, 462 years to reach the closest star, and at that speed, relativistic time dilation would be negligible.

It would however, be fast enough so that any sizable piece of space junk, say a gram's worth or so, should pretty well vaporize any material plating on the ship.

Magnets do not decrease mass but they can be used to create

a relative weightlessness to an object. Basically the magnets are used to

generate resistances to one another generating a relative hovering ability.

this is incorrect. Magnets have no effect on weight or mass, or any other property of the ship.

This would need to be done to continuously

travel and so would stopping to gather needed resources

Stopping where? There's nothing between us and the nearest star, and it will take over 4000 years to get there. That's a long time between fill ups.

Edited by ACG52

Unless it's an ark ship, it needs to be going at an appreciable fraction of the speed of light in order to reach another star before the crew is too old to do anything much. At that speed, I'm not sure how much good kevlar is going to do when a space rock hits you with the equivalent force of a small nuclear bomb.

It is going too fast. it will 'burn' the rocks up.

K was just wondering if it was feasible or not. Guess not in my life time anyways. Hopefully soon we can travel to other universes or atleast send unmanned craft. I figured a magnetic field would help but I guess not in space according to what yall are saying. Just an idea I had. Thanks for the info.

Oh, the rock will be obliterated and the material from the ship will keep right on sailing away at high speed, but the ship won't be intact. The rock will "burn up" the ship just as much as the ship "burns up" the rock.

K was just wondering if it was feasible or not. Guess not in my life time anyways. Hopefully soon we can travel to other universes or atleast send unmanned craft. I figured a magnetic field would help but I guess not in space according to what yall are saying. Just an idea I had. Thanks for the info.

I think you were picturing something suspended in a magnetic field. That only works when the magnets are anchored to the earth.

Oh, the rock will be obliterated and the material from the ship will keep right on sailing away at high speed, but the ship won't be intact. The rock will "burn up" the ship just as much as the ship "burns up" the rock.

Look, it is already working, as they are on mars at the moment, yes?

If you were to emit photons in front of the ship, it would destroy the 'rocks,' burning right through planets and asteroids too, yes?

Now, if you were on my forum, I could tell you how to emit photon's from a laser, powered by a particle beam accelerator engine or plasma or proton engine, as I have theorised them all. They refuse to build the quasar engine as it is too dangerous, but the fusion engine is working on those space ships outside mars. Basically, what I can remember is that you take the two positive ions and place negative ions around them to force them together enough.

So, with this engine emitting a powerful laser in front of it, it can destroy all things that get in the way. of course, if you want to go that fast, you need to use nitrogen four, as it is not carbon based, and is a building material. hell I even theorised how to belt that stuff out on a conveyor belt, along with all other metals, using atomic heating and restructuring. Basically, you use four lasers that intersect in the middle on top of a conveyor belt, and make it so that they meet in one point, using all sorts of things I have forgotten about, as I did this in 2009, and then you belch out materials. If the atoms were heated, and stripped or added to, with artificial atomic structuring, it is possible.

f you were to emit photons in front of the ship, it would destroy the 'rocks,' burning right through planets and asteroids too, yes?

No.

Now, if you were on my forum, I could tell you how to emit photon's from a laser, powered by a particle beam accelerator engine or plasma or proton engine, as I have theorised them all.

I take it that's a science fiction forum.

Look, it is already working, as they are on mars at the moment, yes?

If you were to emit photons in front of the ship, it would destroy the 'rocks,' burning right through planets and asteroids too, yes?

Now, if you were on my forum, I could tell you how to emit photon's from a laser, powered by a particle beam accelerator engine or plasma or proton engine, as I have theorised them all. They refuse to build the quasar engine as it is too dangerous, but the fusion engine is working on those space ships outside mars. Basically, what I can remember is that you take the two positive ions and place negative ions around them to force them together enough.

So, with this engine emitting a powerful laser in front of it, it can destroy all things that get in the way. of course, if you want to go that fast, you need to use nitrogen four, as it is not carbon based, and is a building material. hell I even theorised how to belt that stuff out on a conveyor belt, along with all other metals, using atomic heating and restructuring. Basically, you use four lasers that intersect in the middle on top of a conveyor belt, and make it so that they meet in one point, using all sorts of things I have forgotten about, as I did this in 2009, and then you belch out materials. If the atoms were heated, and stripped or added to, with artificial atomic structuring, it is possible.

Split? Is that you in there? huh.png

Edited by arc