Climate Wars

EdEarl

The video links below are interesting from three perspectives. First, they show how much scientists disagree with each other. Second, they show how scientists eventually come to a partial consensus. Third, they show the ups and downs of the climate change debate.

I have followed the debate since its beginnings in the 70s, but I learned things from watching this series. Both sides of the climate change debate have been wrong and had to swallow their pride from time to time, which makes a good story. Unfortunately, it has also confused people and made scientists appear foolish. But, the important thing is to learn from mistakes, and improve our knowledge. It is our best chance to help our progeny live long and prosper.

No matter what you believe about climate change, I think you find these videos interesting and will learn from them. Each one is about an hour viewing time.

And how much is that? I'm not going to wade through 3 hours of video to check and see if this is a hatchet job or not.

I don't know how to measure disagreement. I'd say the ad homonym wars on this forum are similar in passion, although the scientific arguments on both sides of the climate change issue have been carefully considered and difficult to challenge. The discussion has been on-going since the mid 70s and continues today.

I don't know how to measure disagreement.

Look at the major papers published by experts in the field, and at the statements by the serious players in scientific research who are known for making names for themselves and winning prizes when they manage to prove the consensus wrong (i.e. they desperately don't want to agree with what others say)... Try not to look at random bloggers or idiots on public forums or on Fox News.

http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus

Ninety-seven percent of climate scientists agree that climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities,1and most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position. The following is a partial list of these organizations, along with links to their published statements and a selection of related resources.

Edited by iNow

Among others, this series tells the story of Thomas Midgley, Jr., one of the most unlucky scientists, who invented CFCs, leaded gasoline, and a harness to help himself, a polio victim, get out of bed. Unfortunately, his device strangled him to death.

Edited by EdEarl