vb vs c++

EvilMind

adsta said in post # :

I personally think c++ wouldn't be that bad for a first language to learn. It's not really that hard to get your head around, and there are many free compilers out there (such as gcc).

So head over to www.cprogramming.com and read through the tutorials.

Or if you really want, you could learn x86 assembly :P

I'd kindof disagree there.

The problem with C++ is the fact that because it is such a powerful language, it means that syntaxically, the language is very complex. For a first time programmer, you don't want to be in a position where you don't understand a piece of code that you've just written (as I found myself doing quite a lot of times).

I started out a very long time ago using basic (the old BBC version) then moved onto QBasic, Visual Basic, TCL (scripting language they use for IRC bots and other things as well), C, and then eventually C++. I'd wholeheartedly recommend VB as a first language to get your head around the entire programming mindset and solving simple algorithms, getting you introduced to simple data types, etc.

The only problem with this is that you'll find that when you do make the transition from VB to C/C++ (btw: recommend you do C before you start moving onto C++) is that since you can program things in VB with fairly complex graphical interfaces in just a couple pages of code, you can't really do this in C++. It requires quite a bit more effort, but it's definately worth it because you can literally do anything you put your mind to with a language as powerful as C++.

Another language I'd definately recommend just to introduce you to object orientated programming (which is implemented in C++ quite a lot) is Java. Again it's not as hard to create GUI's as in C++, but it is a very good language to introduce you to the basic concepts. The other big advantage to learning Java instead of VB first is the fact that syntaxically, C++ and Java are very similar - in fact, there's hardly any differences at all in most cases.

Hope this helps.

Guest adsta
dave said in post # :

I'd kindof disagree there.

The problem with C++ is the fact that because it is such a powerful language, it means that syntaxically, the language is very complex. For a first time programmer, you don't want to be in a position where you don't understand a piece of code that you've just written (as I found myself doing quite a lot of times).

Fair enough. I started with basic aswell, and it helped me get an understanding of the fundamentals of programming. So I guess learning vb first isnt such a bad idea.

i started with pascal(moved on to matlab/C/C++/Fortran)...but anyways with all the learn in 24 help books you can find in bookstores and ebooks C++ is just as easy as any other language. However its best to start with C because alot of C++ starts with a C foundation and the things in C are so much simpler.

People think basic is easier because they dont' want to look at the ugliness of C++ (but if you program it right there shouldn't be any).

Pick up the C++ For game programmimng alot of tips and of course the SAMS C++ in 24 days that gives anyone a very good foundation in C++ ....also Lamothe's Windows programming gives you waht you need interms of GUIs

• 2 months later...

yo! every one......

My first programming language I learn is Java......Personally, I think Java is quite easy too.......And the programs made by Java can run on any platform.......you can also make an Internet programs like applet....It is such a purposeful and ideal language now in this momment..

Is VB even easier than Java?

Albert

• 2 weeks later...

I did have much more trouble with C than assembler...

i mean, that of learning the sintax structures, and much reserved keys better assembly and it's nemonics and then you build it as you wish,, without needing any include file or library.

And if you like C (c++) as its case for first starters better use Visual Basic then...