moon rocks?

robomont

please mods put this in the right place as i dont no where to place.

my friend may actuall have two moon rocks.we have both looked at every photo we could find of meteors and moon rocks and this just may be the real deal.

what are the exact steps to go about verification.if they are real then the value could be around a million $.so he wants to make sure.this is not a joke.

we have some photos of them but they are not highly detailed.phone camera.

thankyou for your time.we live in northeast texas for reference of closest lab or what not.

we originally thought they were meteorites until we washed them off.then we compared them to pics and the only thing that was visually comparable was moon rocks.then we saw the value of moon rocks and our jaws dropped.we arent taking any chances with them yet.there is no meteorite pic on the net that even comes close.

Edited by robomont

So because of a resemblance to pictures you think they're moon rocks.

Even though they were dug up 240,000 miles away from the moon, and there's no possible way they could have gotten there?

I think that's a step or two beyond silly.

But then, as you said, it is Texas.

Edited by ACG52

yes we know moon rocks are extremely rare.thats why we want an exact method of verification.step by step.

we are considering doing a mass spec on some dust and we are considering cutting a slice on one.any suggestion?

there are two moon rocks found on earth that have been scientifically verified.so yes it is possible.a impact on the moon can expel rocks that end up on earth.very rare but not impossible.

I'm not a geologist, but all I'm seeing in that photo is a very blurry picture of what appears to be a simple igneous rock. Quite common, it is one of the three main types of rock on earth. There's nothing to suggest it came from the moon.

these rocks were found in clay two feet down.as i posted above the pic quality is poor.there are no ignious rocks found in our part of the country.iron ore and sandstone are the only types found in this region and they are not found in large quantities in the northern part of east texas.

for the sceptics: no there is not a flashing neon sign proclaiming they are moon rocks.thats why im asking.

these rocks were found in clay two feet down.as i posted above the pic quality is poor.there are no ignious rocks found in our part of the country.iron ore and sandstone are the only types found in this region and they are not found in large quantities in the northern part of east texas.

for the sceptics: no there is not a flashing neon sign proclaiming they are moon rocks.thats why im asking.

You have to take them to a university to be tested. AFAIK, there have never been any lunar meteorite finds in North America. Every state in the US has a moon rock sample from the Apollo missions to compare, iirc, and Houston has the Lyndon B Johnson Space Center where most of the moon rocks are stored.

• 3 weeks later...

Close to two hundred individual stones, derived from perhaps eighty meteors, are known to have come from the moon. Nevertheless a new lunar find would be exciting.

The photographs are very blurry, so any serious identification is not possible. Nevertheless I doubted ACG52's suggestion that they were a conventional igneous rock. Those would be unlikely to weather in the way this specimen did.

Some form of nodule as suggest by tamu (Texas A&M?) does seem most likely. It certainly looks nothing like a lunar rock.