External influences on the development of science

Alfred001

I'm talking a sociology of science course and am due to write an essay on a topic of my choosing, but I'm having trouble finding a topic. I've found sociology in general to not be my cup of tea, but one aspect I did find interesting was the history of science aspect - we reviewed a few cases trying laboriously to find instances where factors from outside of science (ideologies, personal beliefs of scientists or even ideas from other more or less unrelated scientific disciplines) influenced the development of a branch of science or a theory.

Could someone point me to some such cases that I might investigate and find enough material to write an essay on?

One thing that occurs to me is Einstein not being able to accept quantum theory because of his religious beliefs (I suppose it's arguable whether it was religious or just strong belief in determinism), but there's not enough there, I don't think, for an essay.

Much appreciate any help.

Edited by Alfred001

Many ideas have been suppressed for a while because of dogma, throughout recorded history, for example, the flat Earth and Earth as the center of the Universe. Just how many people have been killed and imprisoned because they discovered something that contradicted societal beliefs? What changes have society accepted without objection? Why are some things accepted and others are not?

Culture shock and future shock are probably relevant issues.

IMO the flight or fight response is relevant.