Hi, im new, and in highschool, and im wondering if this makes sense

Ab3l

To Deconstruct Atoms:

An atom, a collection of positive, nuetral, and negatively charged subatomic particles, each of which, in certain arrangements, give certain properties of structure to certain elements. These are the building blocks of the universe. To break, or split one, causes a massive release of potential energy in a massive exothermic reaction as the energy contained in the atom is released. To deconstruct one is a dangerous task.

The hypothesis i propose is simple, yet keep in mind, I'm only in honors chem 1, so much of what I say could be completely wrong. An atoms acts, according to the hypothesis, like the majority of its subatomic particles would. Hence the two types of atoms, positively charged and negatively charged. To deconstruct these one must use instruments of oppositely charged atomic materials, so the atom being deconstructed is not repelled. this rule is an absolute, but, you can only use it, until you have removed enough of the atom for its charge to change. This is where things begin to get tricky. I propose that to remove an atoms electrons, a false atomic nuclei must be created, and its charge must at least match that of the atomic nucleus being disassembled. To seperate the electrons, move the false nuclei into the electron fields of the atoms being deconstructed, to seperate. Now, as I do not even begin to understand how the proton and nuetron are attracted and held together, this part of the hypothesis is pure speculation. To separate these particles, I believe one must make an atomic siv, constructed of the largest nucleic particle of atoms, be it nuetron or proton, in hexagonal forms. This theoretically to me, could possibly separate the particles from each other, if nuetrons dont simply bond to the protons, or vice versa. but, i really dont even know at that point, its all based on their attraction. if its the size causing the attraction, it could be a form of gravity, or it could even be a third particle at the center of the nuclei, made of pure energy, or waves, and its energy is what is released when an atom is split. but, i just dont know.

please dont be to harsh on this, it really is pure speculation.

To Deconstruct Atoms:

An atom, a collection of positive, neutral, and negatively charged subatomic particles,............

Another way to get hold of few electrons is to blow up a balloon, rub it in one direction on a friends woolly jumper. It should have pulled off a few electrons. they will linger on the surface of the balloon. Now move it toward a plaster ceiling gently. As you approach the electrons in the balloon should chase away any loose electrons in the plaster roofing to deeper into the roof. Now the roof in the area will appear to have a positive charge ( a lot of electrons migrated in deep) .POSITIVE attracts NEGATIVE ( nobody will tell us exactly why, but they do ) The balloon sticks to the ceiling . For a while till everybody ( electrons get bored and migrate back). Then the balloon falls off the ceiling. If you know all this stuff. Sorry. Next I will tell you how to make a Hydrogen Bomb. Joking !

Mike

Ps Another way if you do not have greasy hair, (otherwise you are sunk ) . Comb your hair frantically, lower it NEAR not touch a very very small piece of paper say 2mm x 3mm. It should jump about 10mm -15mm . You work out what has happened to the electrons .( or if we have it the wrong way round the positive HOLES , Work out what they are !

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

To Deconstruct Atoms:

An atom, a collection of positive, nuetral, and negatively charged subatomic particles, each of which, in certain arrangements, give certain properties of structure to certain elements. These are the building blocks of the universe. To break, or split one, causes a massive release of potential energy in a massive exothermic reaction as the energy contained in the atom is released.

Atoms are held together, and breaking them completely apart requires an input of energy. Large atoms will release energy when broken into smaller pieces, owing to the differences in the repulsive electrostatic force and attractive nuclear force.

a false atomic nuclei must be created, and its charge

must at least match that of the atomic nucleus being disassembled.

What you're writing sounds to me like annihilation when particle and its antiparticle is colliding and producing photons.

The only currently officially know way to create antiproton, is acceleration of proton to v > 0.9c and colliding it with proton at rest which results in:

p+ + p+ -> p+ + p+ + p+ + p-

From two protons there are made three protons and one antiproton.

I know that "splitting the atom" is generally associated with nuclear weapons, but you don't actually get all that much energy out of one atom. To get the amount of energy released by a bomb, you need a fairly good sized chunk of specially prepared material.

To use an example, a lot of smoke detectors use the radioactive isotope Americium-241. Based on the amount used, I think you wind up with an Americium atom splitting about once a month or so in the detector. Note that your house doesn't blow up once a month.

Edited by Delta1212

To use an example, a lot of smoke detectors use the radioactive isotope Americium-241. Based on the amount used, I think you wind up with an Americium atom splitting about once a month or so in the detector. Note that your house doesn't blow up once a month.

By splitting I assume you mean spontaneous fission. One decay a month wouldn't be very effective for a smoke detector.

Am-241 has a half-life of 432.2 years, which is about 13.6 billion seconds. A microgram of Am is about 2.5 x 10^15 atoms. You will have an activity of about 127,000 decays per second with that amount.

Smoke detectors have a little less than a third of that, with an activity of about 37,000 dps

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/Non-Power-Nuclear-Applications/Radioisotopes/Smoke-Detectors-and-Americium/#.UYutPZUrRX0

Branching ratio for spontaneous fission is 4x10^-10, so that's roughly one fission a day.

http://atom.kaeri.re.kr/ton/

By splitting I assume you mean spontaneous fission. One decay a month wouldn't be very effective for a smoke detector.

Am-241 has a half-life of 432.2 years, which is about 13.6 billion seconds. A microgram of Am is about 2.5 x 10^15 atoms. You will have an activity of about 127,000 decays per second with that amount.

Smoke detectors have a little less than a third of that, with an activity of about 37,000 dps

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/Non-Power-Nuclear-Applications/Radioisotopes/Smoke-Detectors-and-Americium/#.UYutPZUrRX0

Branching ratio for spontaneous fission is 4x10^-10, so that's roughly one fission a day.

http://atom.kaeri.re.kr/ton/

Whoops. I thought my numbers seemed a bit small. Must have missed a zero somewhere or something.