Do you need to be selfish to be successful?

Consistency

Michael Jordan once said, To be successful you have to be selfish, or else you never achieve. And once you get to your highest level, then you have to be unselfish. Stay reachable. Stay in touch. Don’t isolate.”

I recently read the quote above and then remembered the quote below. So.. Do you need to be selfish to be successful?

“Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habit.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.”
- Lao Tzu

I have always been a generous person, my wife and I cook for the homeless using our own money, we give to the united way in a big way, I give people money on the street, we have come to the conclusion our generosity is at least part of the reason we have not been exactly successful financially but we are good with it, it lets me like the person i see in the mirror in the morning. If you have ever been in the situation where only help from the outside can solve a problem then you understand how important that can be. I do not regret not being a part of the upper middle class, lower middle class does me quite well... to be honest I consider my self to be successful, I have the love of my wife and children not to mention self respect, I would do it all over if i had the chance... being selfish has never been an option for me...

There was a clothing manufacturer in Oz, named Fletcher Jones, who produced fantastic quality clothes, built up a very successful business, but had been deeply influenced by a Japanese left wing philosopher, (name escapes me), he flew out to Oz, for public lectures. He was a dream boss, giving new workers money on day 1, to allow them to pay their living costs, and giving all workers shares in the company, so that as the company prospered, so would they. He was an extraordinary man, but sadly, as the company grew larger and larger, to continue to give new employees shares, he gave away enough shares to lose controlling interest. At some point, newer employees wanted to change the company, feeling little loyalty to FJ and his children running the company, and many of the decisions they pushed through wrecked the company and shut it down.

The other extraordinary chap, with HUGE heart, was WW2 VC winner, Leonard Cheshire. His huge heart and loyalty and concern for the wounded, disfigured, mentally incapacitated and broken men who served under him, probably proved his kindness far exceeded his bravery. Personally knowing of his own men homeless, not coping, blinded, limbs lost, burnt, etc he set up his family's small rural estate and a few other scrounged large houses, to take them in, and appealed for fit and healthy single brothers in arms, to also move in, earn incomes and donate, help the lads they flew with, Sadly, the initial generosity of spirit didn't last, so he was bankrupted, but came back to establish a huge foundation that cares for service people injured, giving them a home and medical and personal care for life, even now. He married Sue Ryder, who also did amazing work with children behind the iron curtain, suffering post war, and even smuggled some out. They had become committed catholics, which annoys me, in that the innate kindness and amazing commitment THEY had, by NO MEANS common in that religion, they ascribed to their religion, in touching modesty..

I make a lot of sacrifices to care for animals, but as I grow older, I have no interest in so many status items most people seem to see as necessary for happiness. Almost everything flashy, expensive, even beautiful just seems so shallow and uninteresting, I don't feel it's a sacrifice to not own or to sell them, except for my thousands of books - and to be fair, I don't have children to set up comfortably..

I guess I am not 'successful' to outsiders, to average young people, but that really depends on THEIR idea of successful. Many aspire to live the life of Kim Karcrapion, a life of conspicuous waste, bad taste, and vacuousness, whereas I consider her to be an oxygen thief...

If you are super rich, spend money on yachts, private planes, conspicuous, unnecessary waste, is that really a successful life? Could you personally buy, maintain and patrol a territory to protect species at risk? Die knowing that one or more species has doubled in numbers since you stepped in and you die with those protections and expansions in hand. To me, that would justify a claim to a truly successful life.

This fellow's idea of success is entertaining children at a parade. No one is paying him to do this, and it's not of importance how much money he has in the bank or what kind of housing he lives in. Many persons I think feel a greater sense of satisfaction and success in activities they engage in after retirement than in what they achieved earlier in life, especially if they had been working as government bureaucrats.

5522913135_d7b14462cd.jpg

Puppeteer at St. Patricks Day Parade

• 2 weeks later...

I have always been a generous person, my wife and I cook for the homeless using our own money, we give to the united way in a big way, I give people money on the street, we have come to the conclusion our generosity is at least part of the reason we have not been exactly successful financially but we are good with it, it lets me like the person i see in the mirror in the morning. If you have ever been in the situation where only help from the outside can solve a problem then you understand how important that can be. I do not regret not being a part of the upper middle class, lower middle class does me quite well... to be honest I consider my self to be successful, I have the love of my wife and children not to mention self respect, I would do it all over if i had the chance... being selfish has never been an option for me...

I'm skeptical and would like too see the big picture. What do you do or did for a living?

Do you have any regrets about things you did in the past towards others?

This fellow's idea of success is entertaining children at a parade. No one is paying him to do this, and it's not of importance how much money he has in the bank or what kind of housing he lives in. Many persons I think feel a greater sense of satisfaction and success in activities they engage in after retirement than in what they achieved earlier in life, especially if they had been working as government bureaucrats.

Puppeteer at St. Patricks Day Parade

Government bureaucrats have a lot of regrets when they retire.

I would like to see how the clown behaves behind closed doors.

My father is the type who is an abusive person behind closed doors and the nicest person out in public. Typical two faced person that sucks the life out of people by either being extremely nice or abusive.

I'm skeptical and would like too see the big picture. What do you do or did for a living?

I worked for dupont, polyester plant.

Not huge ones, I never meant to suggest I was perfect but the overall picture of my life satisfies me quite well... My conscious is clear. of course there are things like boat wreaks and financial disasters that would be nice to avoid but trying to second guess the past never amounts to much more than unnecessary stress...

My father is the type who is an abusive person behind closed doors and the nicest person out in public. Typical two faced person that sucks the life out of people by either being extremely nice or abusive.

I had a step father like that, the whole community thought he was the best thing since sliced bread but in private he was satan...

There was a clothing manufacturer in Oz, named Fletcher Jones, who produced fantastic quality clothes, built up a very successful business, but had been deeply influenced by a Japanese left wing philosopher, (name escapes me), he flew out to Oz, for public lectures. He was a dream boss, giving new workers money on day 1, to allow them to pay their living costs, and giving all workers shares in the company, so that as the company prospered, so would they. He was an extraordinary man, but sadly, as the company grew larger and larger, to continue to give new employees shares, he gave away enough shares to lose controlling interest. At some point, newer employees wanted to change the company, feeling little loyalty to FJ and his children running the company, and many of the decisions they pushed through wrecked the company and shut it down.

Excellent wise story. Sadly there is always dimwit egoistic natural followers that wreck everything by trying to lead.

The other extraordinary chap, with HUGE heart, was WW2 VC winner, Leonard Cheshire. His huge heart and loyalty and concern for the wounded, disfigured, mentally incapacitated and broken men who served under him, probably proved his kindness far exceeded his bravery. Personally knowing of his own men homeless, not coping, blinded, limbs lost, burnt, etc he set up his family's small rural estate and a few other scrounged large houses, to take them in, and appealed for fit and healthy single brothers in arms, to also move in, earn incomes and donate, help the lads they flew with, Sadly, the initial generosity of spirit didn't last, so he was bankrupted, but came back to establish a huge foundation that cares for service people injured, giving them a home and medical and personal care for life, even now. He married Sue Ryder, who also did amazing work with children behind the iron curtain, suffering post war, and even smuggled some out. They had become committed catholics, which annoys me, in that the innate kindness and amazing commitment THEY had, by NO MEANS common in that religion, they ascribed to their religion, in touching modesty..

Another excellent story. There is something to learn from, be generous to an extant to those who deserve it but don't let people walk all over you.

Religion is an excellent way to relax the mind. Its excellent to control the masses.

I make a lot of sacrifices to care for animals, but as I grow older, I have no interest in so many status items most people seem to see as necessary for happiness. Almost everything flashy, expensive, even beautiful just seems so shallow and uninteresting, I don't feel it's a sacrifice to not own or to sell them, except for my thousands of books - and to be fair, I don't have children to set up comfortably..

I guess I am not 'successful' to outsiders, to average young people, but that really depends on THEIR idea of successful. Many aspire to live the life of Kim Karcrapion, a life of conspicuous waste, bad taste, and vacuousness, whereas I consider her to be an oxygen thief...

If you are super rich, spend money on yachts, private planes, conspicuous, unnecessary waste, is that really a successful life? Could you personally buy, maintain and patrol a territory to protect species at risk? Die knowing that one or more species has doubled in numbers since you stepped in and you die with those protections and expansions in hand. To me, that would justify a claim to a truly successful life.

What you write a sign of a wise mind. :)

Sadly not everyone understands that happiness comes from within.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Government bureaucrats have a lot of regrets when they retire.

I would like to see how the clown behaves behind closed doors.

Sadly, you have taken this thread from a rather positive affirmation that success was about cooperation with and care for others, to a cynical view that suspects the generous. It suggests to me a new definition for success.

Success is thinking well of others even when they give you reason not to.

With that in mind, I am sure you are kind to animals.