snow and lightning

asdfasdf

Essentially it is because of the cloud type: in the larger cumulonimbus clouds (the great big ones with the anvil-shaped heads) there are large thermal convection currents that keep all the ice crystals way up in the air, and cause the electrostatic charge splitting that leads to lightning. If the CN cloud isn't so big, then the thermal currents aren't so strong, and you will just get a normal storm, or, if it is cold enough, hailstones. If you get hail or snow, you won't get lightning, basically because there is no mechanism available to cause the build up of charge.

oh I forgot to mention, the formation of large CN clouds requires a significant updraft of heat, which wouldn't be found in the conditions you would expect in snowy weather (namely it's usually 'frikkin freezing Mr Bigglesworth')

Originally posted by Radical Edward

Essentially it is because of the cloud type: in the larger cumulonimbus clouds (the great big ones with the anvil-shaped heads) there are large thermal convection currents that keep all the ice crystals way up in the air, and cause the electrostatic charge splitting that leads to lightning. If the CN cloud isn't so big, then the thermal currents aren't so strong, and you will just get a normal storm, or, if it is cold enough, hailstones. If you get hail or snow, you won't get lightning, basically because there is no mechanism available to cause the build up of charge.

oh I forgot to mention, the formation of large CN clouds requires a significant updraft of heat, which wouldn't be found in the conditions you would expect in snowy weather (namely it's usually 'frikkin freezing Mr Bigglesworth')

Um. Actually..I can't add anything usefull to this last post.so I will just shut up now.

• 2 years later...

I am new to the forums here and so I figure I may as well jump in and get my feet wet. For starters, I am no meteorologist and absolutely know nothing about the subject of the science. However I do know this, I have observed lightning accompany snow fall twice in my 53 yrs of living. Once in the state of Arkansas. We recieved, which is a rarity for SW Arkansas, 20 inches of snow, accompanied by thunder and sever lightning. It was a magnificent display of natural force. It also raised numerous questions on the local news as to why and I only wish that I could remember the reason. It may have been in relation to diverse thermal layers in the atmosphere. Arkansas is noted for what you may call "odd" weather patterns. On Jan 6, 1996 and F5 tornado touched down near Texarkana and stayed on the ground all the way to Little Rock. The twister was 3/4 of a mile in width and missed my home only by a few miles as it took out almost the entire city of Arkadeplphia, Ar. Of course this has nothing to do with snow and lightning but only shows the abnormalities that the weather can produce. Who ever heard of an F5 tornado occuring in the middle of winter? The second time that I observed lightning and snow fall together was here in Western North Carolina about two years ago. The western part of the state is located in association with an isolated thermal boundry. So I really don't know or recall the reason for lightning occuring durning a snow fall but I do know positively that it does happen on occasion. :)

I am new to the forums here and so I figure I may as well jump in and get my feet wet. For starters, I am no meteorologist and absolutely know nothing about the subject of the science. However I do know this, I have observed lightning accompany snow fall twice in my 53 yrs of living. Once in the state of Arkansas. We recieved, which is a rarity for SW Arkansas, 20 inches of snow, accompanied by thunder and sever lightning. It was a magnificent display of natural force. It also raised numerous questions on the local news as to why and I only wish that I could remember the reason. It may have been in relation to diverse thermal layers in the atmosphere. Arkansas is noted for what you may call "odd" weather patterns. On Jan 6, 1996 and F5 tornado touched down near Texarkana and stayed on the ground all the way to Little Rock. The twister was 3/4 of a mile in width and missed my home only by a few miles as it took out almost the entire city of Arkadeplphia, Ar. Of course this has nothing to do with snow and lightning but only shows the abnormalities that the weather can produce. Who ever heard of an F5 tornado occuring in the middle of winter? The second time that I observed lightning and snow fall together was here in Western North Carolina about two years ago. The western part of the state is located in association with an isolated thermal boundry. So I really don't know or recall the reason for lightning occuring durning a snow fall but I do know positively that it does happen on occasion. :)

Yep, it's rare, but not impossible.