You're not smart enough

Tension

Wow. One of my drunk neighbors just came down, knocked on my door, decided to hang out for awhile, then proceeded to tell me I wasn't "smart enough" to help out with the biomedical side of computing. Needless to say, I ripped him a new one, and told him to stop telling people that they are not "smart enough" to attempt to advance the state of the human condition.

What the?

Has anyone else here been attacked by people that claim to know the inner workings of everyone else's mind? I couldn't believe it. After knowing me for 5 minutes, he seemed to know how far I could possibly go with my interest in science.

Mind boggling.

I promptly kicked him out. :)

Anyone else have any stories along these lines?

I sense that you were quite upset by this episode (otherwise why even bother going to the trouble of posting it).

This sort of experience is quite normal. It tells you a lot more about your neighbour than it does about your ability to make a contribution to science. What he was more than likely saying was "You look like you are going to be successful. That gets up my nose because I've always been afraid to try."

Look around you, you will see people who are genuinely pleased when others enjoy success, then those who somehow believe that success diminishes their own stature. Avoid the former, associate with the latter.

On the other hand, you did say your neighbour was drunk. So you might give him the benefit of the doubt when you next meet him sober.

Look around you' date=' you will see people who are genuinely pleased when others enjoy success, then those who somehow believe that success diminishes their own stature. Avoid the former, associate with the latter.

[/quote']

Shouldn't I associate with the former? :)

Very true of course. I'm finding it to be quite common. This thread exists solely for venting purposes. I've been told this 3 times in the last month by total strangers, and am seeing it as a trend. That's why I'm asking for other's stories.

Tension i think your reaction is typical of any of us.Yet sometimes one should accept it with grace.He may be quite wrong and indeed you have alot to contribute,however his motive might be nothing more than giving you a common-sense opinion based on the assessment of your encounter.Honesty never sits well,however it serves to inspire or make one realise your energy might be better served in another field.If your neighbour only harboured envious thoughts of you,he wouldnt bother dissuading you,more encourage your wasting your potential.

If my adversary was continually making bad moves in a game,if i was fond of him id let him know,if i was indifferent id let him make all the bad moves he liked ...and win!!

hope this helps you feel better..go for it !!

Wow. One of my drunk neighbors just came down, knocked on my door, decided to hang out for awhile, then proceeded to tell me I wasn't "smart enough" to help out with the biomedical side of computing.

I promptly kicked him out. :)

remember... he was drunk.

blue part: good for you! ;)

just ignore him... sounds like a bit of a [insert rude word] to me.

lol, YT has high standards :)

in any case, kinda. Ive been told a thousand different things about my own mind and its relation to my age. lol. apparently, im too young to know anything about anything and too naive to solve any mysteries of the universe...ha to them! Who's the one working on the cures now!? :P

:D

lol' date=' YT has high standards :)

in any case, kinda. Ive been told a thousand different things about my own mind and its relation to my age. lol. apparently, im too young to know anything about anything and too naive to solve any mysteries of the universe...ha to them! Who's the one working on the cures now!? :P

:D[/quote']

Indeed I have in ceratin aspects, and that`s not a BAD thing!

as for the rest, listen to all, and extract that which is provable, be but TOLD nothing!

well if he didn`t bother to invite you for a drink or 7 and a subsequent (Meaningfull chat of Philosophy later), he`s not much of a mate!

See, this is how I thought neighbors were supposed to treat each other.

Oh well, I'm over it. I know I've said things to people that I later regretted while drinking. I'm not sure why I let this bother me. I suppose that next time I get falling-over drunk, I'll just have to stop by his place for a little chat. ;)

as for the rest, listen to all, and extract that which is provable, be but TOLD nothing!

That's great advice.

A long time ago an advice columnist wrote something that I have never forgotten - "Your friends may not always agree with you, but they'll stick by you through thick and thin. The opinions of everyone else don't matter."

Since you said he had only known you for five minutes, he is obviously not a friend, so throw his opinion into the "doesn't matter" pile and forget it.

• 3 months later...

"On the other hand, you did say your neighbour was drunk. So you might give him the benefit of the doubt when you next meet him sober."

On the other hand he may have been more honest about his feelings than he would be if he was sober. So maybe you now you have an idea what an as**ole he really is.

Sorry, I'm a cynic from way back.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"You're interest in science is pathetic because of your judgement towards a drunk and your reaction. People who are drunk talk junk. You didn't know this? Wow! Much of a scientist you are."

Share us with your sources. Where did you get the idea that drunk people always talk junk?

plus, never ever listen to strangers' blunt opinions that aren't supported, Tension.