Coil gun. Please help.

jonathan

Hi,

I have been looking about how to do a coil gun and did one with a coil of copper wire. But what would happen if instead a copper wire I use a entire copper cylinder drilling a

hole side to side, so you have a air core coil (simple coil). I've read that the more dense is the coil, more power you will get.

My question is, how would it effect the coil gun, would it not work because the resistance that gives the cylinder is so low that could make a short-circuit?

Another question I have is, could you do an automatic coil gun at a speed of 100m/s? When I say automatic, I say like 60 rounds per second.

Regards,

Jonathan

Hi,

I have been looking about how to do a coil gun and did one with a coil of copper wire. But what would happen if instead a copper wire I use a entire copper cylinder drilling a

hole side to side, so you have a air core coil (simple coil). I've read that the more dense is the coil, more power you will get.

My question is, how would it effect the coil gun, would it not work because the resistance that gives the cylinder is so low that could make a short-circuit?

Another question I have is, could you do an automatic coil gun at a speed of 100m/s? When I say automatic, I say like 60 rounds per second.

Regards,

Jonathan

Your copper wire is insulated so that the electricity travels around many times. This is what causes the strong magnetic field.

A tube would allow the electricity to flow in any direction along the surface. Electriciy follows the path of least resistance, so it would make (at most) half a turn (or maybe one).

For your second question, that is within the realm of possibility, but it would be a substantial engineering challenge.

Your copper wire is insulated so that the electricity travels around many times. This is what causes the strong magnetic field.

A tube would allow the electricity to flow in any direction along the surface. Electriciy follows the path of least resistance, so it would make (at most) half a turn (or maybe one).

For your second question, that is within the realm of possibility, but it would be a substantial engineering challenge.

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. So it wouldn't be effective. What about a spiral form for the coil with a polarity in one side and the other in the other side? I think it would do the same

as the cylinder no? Sorry about these stupid questions, but it's better to ask and be sure than spend money in something that wont work.

I will pose my idea, so maybe you can help me more.

I've got this idea to make a "Coil gun", but as all of us know, a coil gun will only throw something magnetic. Well my idea is throw things by compressed air, let me explain my self.

In the coils, there will be a piston which will compress air in a cylinder and after throw it throw a nozzle. Just like an air rifle.

I know seems crazy, but craziness is one step forward of intelligence :)

I've got this idea to make a "Coil gun", but as all of us know, a coil gun will only throw something magnetic. Well my idea is throw things by compressed air, let me explain my self.

In the coils, there will be a piston which will compress air in a cylinder and after throw it throw a nozzle. Just like an air rifle.

I know seems crazy, but craziness is one step forward of intelligence :)

Is this something that you want to do simply because you CAN do it? If so, knock yourself out.

But understand that it would be MUCH easier and much less complicated to build a simple air gun using a QEV or similar valve, solenoid valves, an air compressor, and a small amount of automation. It would still be quite the little project, but it would perform to your stated requirements, be a lot easier to design, and insanely cheaper.

But understand that it would be MUCH easier and much less complicated to build a simple air gun using a QEV or similar valve, solenoid valves, an air compressor, and a small amount of automation. It would still be quite the little project, but it would perform to your stated requirements, be a lot easier to design, and insanely cheaper.

And after he builds it you can challenge him to a duel, his gun against your Vera. :D

:D

Yeah, I admit that I take "alternative technology projectile propulsion" to an extreme.

What speed you can get with a QEV? And fire rate? With a QEV I am worried about the automatic fire. What I thought, is using 2 coil and changing polarities of both

I could make a piston that moves up left and right. Will attach a photo, so you can have some more idea, it is not a good photo, but will do for the drawing. This system, will need further more automation, because you have to change the polarity more of 50 times per minute.

post-81854-0-80132400-1354016497_thumb.jpg

What speed you can get with a QEV? And fire rate?

Well, there are many variables, but I've a gun that uses a QEV and standard shop air (120 psi) to shoot golf balls at 600 fps (180 m/s).

Rate of fire is another one that has many variables. How are you feeding it? But 60 rounds/min should be totally doable. Note: I'm assuming that your "60 rounds per second" mentioned in your original post is a typo. The power requirements for such a system get to be a bit on the insane side for any gun of non-negligible muzzle energy.

[Re: The drawing]

If I understand your drawings correctly... Again, if you want to do it just to say that you did, more power to ya. But if you want a gun with decent performance, you're barking up the wrong tree. You're chasing the $10 solution to a $2 problem.

Well, there are many variables, but I've a gun that uses a QEV and standard shop air (120 psi) to shoot golf balls at 600 fps (180 m/s).

Rate of fire is another one that has many variables. How are you feeding it? But 60 rounds/min should be totally doable. Note: I'm assuming that your "60 rounds per second" mentioned in your original post is a typo. The power requirements for such a system get to be a bit on the insane side for any gun of non-negligible muzzle energy.

[Re: The drawing]

If I understand your drawings correctly... Again, if you want to do it just to say that you did, more power to ya. But if you want a gun with decent performance, you're barking up the wrong tree. You're chasing the $10 solution to a $2 problem.

Is there any post with information of QEVs? I would like to get more informed and see how much it will cost me in both ways. I can see your point. Did I say 60 rounds per second???? I have mistaken that.

"How are you feeding it?" Well, the thing is It's not done, but I would feed it with a BB magazine, has 60 rounds each magazine.

When I asked about feeding I meant air supply, but now seeing you're talking about BB guns? Energy requirements just got easy. As for the QEVs, you can get a 3/4" QEV from McMaster-Carr for on the order of $20. Since you're going with such small projectiles, you could probably get away with a 3/8" valve... I'm guessing, but cost will probably be like $15.