crowd funding biology projects

Pselaphinae

Welcome Pselaphinae.

I was fast enough today to have a look at your link. Great stuff for whom is interested (I am not but someone else may be) and a lot of enthusiasm. good for you.

Hi, I've set up a crowd-funding page for one of my projects here: [link removed]

what do people think about this approach for raising money for small science projects?

I find that a clever idea. I don't like it. But if it works why not, I see no harm, everyone is informed and know what is all about.

I'd suggest to allow the link for a small period of time (say 24h) so that other members can have a quick look and discuss the concept.

Edited by michel123456

I'd suggest to allow the link for a small period of time (say 24h) so that other members can have a quick look and discuss the concept.

michel123456,

We discussed this among moderators, and although this is science-related, we do not want to allow anyone asking for budgets on our site.

Our rules (specifically section 2.7) are quite clear: don't go around making threads to advertise [anything].

Basically, an opening post should at all times start some discussion or contain a question.

In this particular case, it may be a noble and honest project, but if we start allowing these, then where would we draw the line? Each advertisement would become a discussion item! And actually, in this particular case, the post got reported and was discussed before we took action. Normally, spammers get banned on sight, and their posts thrown into the deepest pits of the internet. Please note that Pselaphinae was not banned.

There are other sites where you can advertise a project and ask for funds. Our forum is not the place. But we would gladly help to develop the scientific part of the project, with advice and answers to questions!

I think crowd-funding could be advantageous (not advertised here, of course), but I'd like the JOBS Act to set up stricter regulations. They should have these soon, and then I think you'll see more people embrace the concept.

I would not support it if it turns out to be an attempt to loosen the regulations surrounding such transactions. It could end up being a repeat of the financial sector problems that we're still dealing with.

michel123456,

We discussed this among moderators, and although this is science-related, we do not want to allow anyone asking for budgets on our site.

Our rules (specifically section 2.7) are quite clear: don't go around making threads to advertise [anything].

Basically, an opening post should at all times start some discussion or contain a question.

In this particular case, it may be a noble and honest project, but if we start allowing these, then where would we draw the line? Each advertisement would become a discussion item! And actually, in this particular case, the post got reported and was discussed before we took action. Normally, spammers get banned on sight, and their posts thrown into the deepest pits of the internet. Please note that Pselaphinae was not banned.

There are other sites where you can advertise a project and ask for funds. Our forum is not the place. But we would gladly help to develop the scientific part of the project, with advice and answers to questions!

Your decision is o.k. for me.

Edited by michel123456