Nobel Prize In Chemistry

imatfaal

I must admit it did read a bit like a second prize in Medicine or Physiology - I decided not to post that comment to avoid antagonising the chemists on the forum, but it seems the Nobel Committee have beaten me to it.

In all fairness I think the prize is well deserved.

I've read arguments elsewhere on the net that instead of thinking that molecular biology is stealing the chemistry prize we should realize that chemistry is becoming advanced enough to begin to answer big questions about physiology.

Or maybe it is a sign that we are in one of those great exciting times were fields are merging and "the world is shrinking". I think the example of QM being used to predict the spectra of complex organic molecules (my personal obsession) is an analagous example of the unification of fields of study.

Every person in science fears reductionism to a certain degree. Only the mathematicians are truly immune to it :) .

Edited by mississippichem

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.