Where can I find a standalone bath for salt melting?

Fleur Rouge

I'd not try anything as flammable as steel.

600C is above the safe working temperature for most lab glass.

http://www.camglassblowing.co.uk/gproperties.htm

Wrapping an electrical heating element round a metal container is a recipe for blowing the fuse and/ or electrocution.

If you don't know what you are talking about you should keep quiet.

I'd not try anything as flammable as steel.

600C is above the safe working temperature for most lab glass.

http://www.camglassblowing.co.uk/gproperties.htm

Wrapping an electrical heating element round a metal container is a recipe for blowing the fuse and/ or electrocution.

If you don't know what you are talking about you should keep quiet.

I agree. Regular posters here, particularly n Chem, really should think twice before making practical suggestions...some passing reader may just try it with life-harming consequences.

I agree. Regular posters here, particularly n Chem, really should think twice before making practical suggestions...some passing reader may just try it with life-harming consequences.

...Right... I feel as if I should have thought about that.

If I don't know what I am talking about, then it would be better if I spoke up, got corrected, and learned from it rather than if I carried this wrong idea with me all my life, correct? Keeping quiet is often a larger recipe for disaster than speaking up.

...Right... I feel as if I should have thought about that.

If I don't know what I am talking about, then it would be better if I spoke up, got corrected, and learned from it rather than if I carried this wrong idea with me all my life, correct? Keeping quiet is often a larger recipe for disaster than speaking up.

It looks like John Cuthber's watching your back. Keep learning mate...I know you are not knowingly irresponsible. For future reference, it might be better to word a practical idea that you are not familiar with, like you just did, in a hypothetical sense so that it might be corrected ie "What if we...?", then you should be covered against any sharp criticism. :)

Edited by StringJunky

EC,

How would you feel if someone at 8pm yesterday had read you post acted on it, and hurt themselves before I had spotted your stupid post and corrected it?

Compared to that " I carried this wrong idea with me all my life" is a vast improvement.

"Keeping quiet is often a larger recipe for disaster than speaking up. "

Perhaps, but the best approach is to ask questions.

• 2 weeks later...

An old fashioned cast iron cooking pot or lead melting pot should work. Size may not be what you want. A torch might work but you

might want to make a furnace of some sort with a small steel drum and charcoal. Beware of CO poisoning. NaNO3 will melt more

easily that KNO3, it contains some moisture, very hygroscopic.