NCO2

Cerius

I have been trying to do some research on what happens if Nitrogen is mixed with Carbon Dioxide. I am wondering what the reaction would be. I know that NCO2 is stable, yet I cannot find out what the chemical is. I am wondering if this is toxic to breath. I am wanting to see if this could be a possible way to Terraform Mars?

Incidentally, why do you think NCO2 is stable?

The only reference I can find to it has it trapped in a frozen neon matrix just a few degrees above absolute zero. Those are not easy conditions to achieve so they must have had a reason for choosing them. The simplest reason is that it reacts with anything less inert than Ne and it decomposes if its not kept very cold.

Incidentally, why do you think NCO2 is stable?

The only reference I can find to it has it trapped in a frozen neon matrix just a few degrees above absolute zero. Those are not easy conditions to achieve so they must have had a reason for choosing them. The simplest reason is that it reacts with anything less inert than Ne and it decomposes if its not kept very cold.

I have to ask, is NCO2 really a molecule? just writing chemical symbols beside each other does not a molecule make, if even a tiny amount of the chemistry i was taught has been retained by my brain...

I guess it exists because someone has measured the IR absorption spectrum of the stuff.

What I don't believe is that it's stable.

Any idea what the proposed structure is? Everything I'm trying to come with on my end looks crazy.

I would like a link to the work as well.

Aha! Now I think I know what you are on about.

They use a mixture of nitrogen and CO2 to froth some beers with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draught_beer#Keg_beer

it gives smaller bubbles that last longer.

But there's no chemical reaction between the two gases.

Unless, according to this

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16375522

you freeze them into a block of solid neon at 4K and zap them with a laser.