Grounding for Electrolysis

saerenzea

Hello all,

I have a small Hydrogen generator using graphite rods and a DC power source. Currently I'm using a 60w ac to dc converter with no ground. I have some higher wattage converters that have a ground wire. I've tried to just use the positive and negative wires but it does nothing. I thought I would ask around before I start experimenting on what will make this thing run. Where should I ground the extra wire to? Thanks in advance! (I'm just trying to increase production here)

Edited by saerenzea

Without a circuit diagram this question can't really be answered. However here is some general observations. The a.c. connected to your system presumably goes to a transformer. The transformer primary will be connected between line and neutral. If this assembly is in a metal case you would expect an earth wire to be connected to the case as a safety measure. The device would work without the earth connection, but be unsafe and liable to give you an electric shock.

On the d.c. side of things your equipment will use the positive and negative connections and without an earth connection will be "floating". I would still expect it to work. Any point within that circuit connected to earth will be at zero volts. If the circuit is designed to use an earth connection then this should be shown on the circuit diagram. One guess might be that if the liquid container is metal that might be earthed so that one electrode is above zero and the other below zero - but this is only a suggestion. You, and anyone looking into this needs to see your circuit.

Here is a crude drawing of what I have going on. When I test the voltage using a meter it shows 24v which is what it should. Once I hook it up to the electrodes in the water nothing happens. I'm just trying to be as safe as I can with this.

post-76473-0-96886300-1340916052_thumb.jpg

I will "put my cards on the table". I know a fair bit about practical electricity/electronics but not so much about electrolysis.

You seem to be sure that the supply has only two connections so I assume your power supply is in a plastic case (rather like a laptop power supply) and your ground connection has been supplied for the power supply d.c. output. Perhaps you have a general purpose power supply and the earth connection depends on the application.

Your circuit is so simple that I feel it should work without the ground connection. If you measure and find you have 24V but no electrolysis I would look for other reasons.

You may be better able to answer questions that would go through my mind:-

Is 24V sufficient? Is the electrolyte composition and strength correct. Have you the correct material(s) for the electrodes? Can the power supply deliver enough current (you could check the voltage at the electrodes when dipped into the electrolyte to see if the voltage drops drastically) ? Are you using a metal container with electrodes so near or touching the sides so that current flows around the container rather than through the electrolyte?

Basically it looks as though you could just connect the two electrodes to a 24V battery which of course wouldn't have an earth connection.

If you can get or borrow a couple of car batteries it might be interesting to see what happens if you use them in series.

WARNING :- If you have a short circuit, say around the container, be aware that car batteries can delivery a huge amount of current producing a lot of heat and sparking.

Edited by Joatmon