Dreaming of a white Christmas (or another Winter-time holiday) :)

Gilded

Hmmh. It's starting to get rather snowy around here, even though the first flakes came down just a few days ago. A few local snow records have been broken too (the best Finnish record is from Kilpisjärvi, 1997: 190cm of snow). I personally like snow, as long as it's not in the way (as I always cycle to school). :) What about you? How much snow there's usually in the place you live?

actually around my sisters university, sheffield, it has all ready started snowing quite heavily*, DAMN HER, and there have been reported case's on the news that its been snowing in other places unfortunately it's not started to bloody snow here(Manchester) yet first it needs to stop raining

* when i say heavily i mean heavily for Great Britain so about a few centemeters of snow :D

Here in Missouri (USA) the amount of snow each year seems to be completely random. A few years ago it rained, froze, snowed, rained and froze again so we had solid ice that was pretty thick. We had a hill in our backyard which was impossible to get up without a pick. But, WOW, going down that hill on a sled was extremely fun and extremely painful. We found some unfrozen snow and made a ramp that sent us several feet into the air only to land on our butt. This kid broke his tailbone. Hilarious.

oh well, in london it hasnt rained (much at all, like once randomly, nothing during the day, only night).

we had heavy snow i think almost 2 years ago... i remember that because i didnt do anything the day after (stayed at home) AND that night i got my computer. i was lucky coz the delivery lorry came during the afternoon, by the evening it was not much snow which brought most of london to a stop!

"going down that hill on a sled was extremely fun and extremely painful"

There's a certain hill on my school route, that I go down every morning. It's probably over freaking 45 degrees steep, and most of the time unsanded and frozen solid. Almost immediately after it, there's a ditch and a large rock in the ditch (you have to take a rather hard turn if you don't want to end up in the ditch). If it's not named yet, they should call it the Suicide Hill. >:/

In this region (Southern border of Tennessee) we usually get two or three snows a year, most of the time it's under an inch at a time and melts within a day or so...but even that is enough to shut down most schools, businesses, etc (no joke), because we have no snow-moving equipment whatsoever, it's not worth spending the money on for a couple of days a year...

It was a big adjustment when we moved here from Kansas, especially since we lived in Germany prior to that!

yeah, london just goes dead if there is more than 1mm or 0.1in (well, you get the idea) of snow.

whenever it snows here school, business, you name it... it'll probably be shut, or open and empty!

basically, london is totaly non-equipped for snow.

ran sure, but even when wet leaves get on train lines they have to shut that part of the line (last year). its stupid, london is not good at dealing with anything other than sun or rain!!!

What! you lucky bugger one day in my old high school the heaters went down, and it was icy outside, ice every where, and by Law you should be aloud to go home if the school is not properly heated, but the school was'nt letting us and we had to freeze our ball's of while getting taught all day, I must admit though they were thinking of the pupils, they let us ware our coats, How lucky were we :P

really?

in my school, this almost 2 years ago incident the whole school was shut, other times i remember being in small classes, that may have been due to train strikes or something, i just remember being in lessons with very few others!

in my old school i remember the heating always used to break down and we were sent home, about once a year or something... common enough to notice the trend!

but, the fact is that places like the UK which dont suffer heavy extreme conditions are just not prepared for them even if they come in a lighter form.

some parts i disagree, if it becomes icy then salters will come and salt the road to prevent it being icy, and they have containers where people can put salt down if they feel it is dangerously slipery but yes in some case's we are unprepared for bad wether conditions that may be because we dont have that many

Generalising horribly, the temperature usually ranges from -10 in the most vicious parts of winter to +35 on the hottest days of summer.

Throughout this autumn it has been a mild 10->14 celsius, and the temp. recently plumeted to about -2->+6 celsius.

Come to think of it, I don't think there has been school closings due to temperature or snow in my entire lifetime, or not in the southern Finland at least. If -25 Celsius and about two feet of snow doesn't close down the schools, I don't know what will. :)

lol, I rem when we lived in canada, -42c and we STILL went to school!

`cept this one time when we actualy got Snowed In! opened the front doors and the was a wall of solid pure snow, we used buckets and bowls and alsorts, scoop at a time into the bath and sinks to get rid of it, I loved every second :)