Is the 4th ofJuly just another day?

rigney

Hollywood, (Tinseltown), makes silk purses out of a sows ears overnight, if you have the money. And I had no idea the enigma machine went back that far. You want truth? Go to the nearest street corner at night. It's a lot more sanitary. Edited by rigney

Agree about the Johnny Horton video. If you can find a version in which the British win that would be rather nice (Oh I forgot for a moment it's history) biggrin.gif

Wish I had replied sooner! But if you are into music at all, this aught to soothe you for a day or two.

These guys were among the very best ever, “Bar None”

Too Much Heaven: Bee Gees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=nREV8bQJ1MA&feature=endscreen

Too Much Heaven:?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=p-CZgDt7oas

Blowing in the Wind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO7C7Fuayrw

Barry’s concert in Florida, 2012

(IMO) Civilisation is a complicated thing to set up, develop and maintain. I guess that everyone wishes the "man with a gun over there" wasn't necessary. Perhaps the day will come when everyone lays down there arms - I hope so. In the meantime it's easier to sing the songs than solve the problems. For a large part of my life I was "a man with a gun over there" and felt then and still do that I was providing my country with essential protection and thereby aiding the development of civilisation.

Edited by Joatmon

(IMO) Civilisation is a complicated thing to set up, develop and maintain. I guess that everyone wishes the "man with a gun over there" wasn't necessary. Perhaps the day will come when everyone lays down there arms - I hope so. In the meantime it's easier to sing the songs than solve the problems. For a large part of my life I was "a man with a gun over there" and felt then and still do that I was providing my country with essential protection and thereby aiding the development of civilisation.

Unfortunately, if there were only two people left on earth with a difference of opinion, undoubtably there would be conflict of some sort. It's in the nature of the beast. How's that old adage go "The guy who dies with the most toys, wins". Edited by rigney

"I'm proud and ashamed every fourth of July"

Despite being Australian, I now live in the US and see and feel a lot of parallels between the history, culture and national sentiments of both places and the Descendents sum up the mixture of sentiments surrounding both places quite well in 'Merican.

Edited by Arete

"I'm proud and ashamed every fourth of July"

Despite being Australian, I now live in the US and see and feel a lot of parallels between the history, culture and national sentiments of both places and the Descendents sum up the mixture of sentiments surrounding both places quite well in 'Merican.

Just hope you haven't been here long enough to become totally jaded, one faction or another. If not, what is your take on our problems? It may be a good reality check and the outside ball bustin' explanation we've been needing. Don't be totally nasty though, just lay it out for us. Personally, I'll appreciate your answer; regardless of how you put it.

July 4th? British Thanksgiving.

Oh dear, I guess we have wandered away from the topic - sorry.

We seem to have gone from Thanksgiving, to the war of Independence, to war between the US and GB, wars in general and the attitudes of people towards governments and war as expressed in words and music. I suppose that's what you are saying and I can't argue with that! People get carried away (or at least I do). My only excuse is that its been interesting.smile.gif

Edited by Joatmon