Looking for a job

Joatmon

It has been suggested to me that my technical knowledge is no longer at a standard where I can sustain a debate or argument.

It was suggested that I retrain. However, I retired almost 20 years ago so that really isn't an option. It got me wondering what I might do with very little training and fading knowledge.

I am looking for suggestions.

The best that I can come up with myself would be "pole dancer costume adjuster". However the remuneration would have to be very small otherwise I could not afford to take the job!

So any ideas? All offers and suggestions considered! biggrin.gif

Helping rich kids to get better math grades in school? That's quite a huge market in Germany, and "my technical knowledge" sounds as if you may have some math skills, at least.

(you've added pretty little details about your skills or interests; only that you fancy pole dance dresses)

Helping rich kids to get better math grades in school? That's quite a huge market in Germany, and "my technical knowledge" sounds as if you may have some math skills, at least.

I have made some money doing that, just in my experience it is hard to keep it going.

It seems the irony of my post has not been detected. I don't actually accept the suggestion that I am mentally "over the hill" and need retraining! In fact, after a burst of indignation I could see the funny side of such a suggestion. But perhaps timo and ajb are doing a sort of joke by pretending to take my post seriously?

Perhaps I should apologise. In the meantime I see in the small ads someone is looking for a rocking chair tester so if you will excuse me.......wink.gif

When I said retrain--or whatever I had said specifically--I meant more like read a book, and do the practice questions. Twenty years is a long time Jo, and you might consider asking yourself what specific knowledge it was you had in the first place. It is very possible to know a whole lot about a subject and not know everything. Is it at all possible that you are taking it for granted that you know things you may have never been taught, or even had done sufficient research on in the first place to have such specific knowledge. But do feel free to plant a pole on your front lawn as I am sure you, as well as many others, would find this entertaining, if not at the very least for a little while.

Also have you ever considered a less black and white approach to a discussion. Maybe instead of asserting how wrong someone is, try asserting how strong your own argument is while contrasting specific points and backing up your statements. I would back up my own statements with complete derivation if my accuser was a little more prepared to do the same, and a little less focused on taring me down with no foundation. Arguments take time and effort, as well as patience and are most productive when both parties assume their own fallibility and where there is an equal disinterested pursuit towards a mutual conclusion. If you can't take this approach my recommendation is to present your own ideas and let them stand against your 'opponents' under their own merit, without denegrating the others post.

When I said retrain--or whatever I had said specifically--I meant more like read a book, and do the practice questions. Twenty years is a long time Jo, and you might consider asking yourself what specific knowledge it was you had in the first place. It is very possible to know a whole lot about a subject and not know everything. Is it at all possible that you are taking it for granted that you know things you may have never been taught, or even had done sufficient research on in the first place to have such specific knowledge. But do feel free to plant a pole on your front lawn as I am sure you, as well as many others, would find this entertaining, if not at the very least for a little while.

Also have you ever considered a less black and white approach to a discussion. Maybe instead of asserting how wrong someone is, try asserting how strong your own argument is while contrasting specific points and backing up your statements. I would back up my own statements with complete derivation if my accuser was a little more prepared to do the same, and a little less focused on taring me down with no foundation. Arguments take time and effort, as well as patience and are most productive when both parties assume their own fallibility and where there is an equal disinterested pursuit towards a mutual conclusion. If you can't take this approach my recommendation is to present your own ideas and let them stand against your 'opponents' under their own merit, without denegrating the others post.

Xittenn, there is a lot of sense in what you say. Perhaps, even probably, I have been rather arrogant about this issue. I do feel very confident about my assertions because basic machine theory hardly changes with time and it was my job to lecture on this particular topic to several classes a year for ten years. By the way I did not really want to have you identified! I accept that in a forum such as this a less blunt and dogmatic approach is the best way to work harmoniously. Can't we be friends?

Only if you promise me that in the future you will be a little more prepared to discuss the details about why something I've said is wrong, what makes your statements more correct, and accept that if we disagree its not a problem because nothing has to be concluded indefinitely. These are trademark rules of scientific discussion and they tend to be upheld by the community. And also that you won't send me any sappy emails about this, or pictures of you dancing on a pole! If these stipulations are fine by you then sure . . . . .

/me shakes paw

Edited by Xittenn

Only if you promise me that in the future you will be a little more prepared to discuss the details about why something I've said is wrong, what makes your statements more correct, and accept that if we disagree its not a problem because nothing has to be concluded indefinitely. These are trademark rules of scientific discussion and they tend to be upheld by the community. And also that you won't send me any sappy emails about this, or pictures of you dancing on a pole! If these stipulations are fine by you then sure . . . . .

/me shakes paw

Ok I'll scrap the photos and try to be better mannered. Keep the claws in that paw! I'll probably have to leave you to set up friendship from your end. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Arguments take time and effort, as well as patience and are most productive when both parties assume their own fallibility and where there is an equal disinterested pursuit towards a mutual conclusion.

I like this bit. It is especially pertinent when one considers science is about probabilities and not certainties, or else, it would be akin to a religion. Our personal approach to discussion should mirror this lack of absolute certainty that prevails in properly applied science.

Edited by StringJunky