Can i make NaOH from CaOH

420hydroxide

Iodine, i think it does actually? Thats all im using it for, but thanks for the reply, sorry i will say Ca(OH) instead:)

Ye john your probably right, so what other chemicals are needed and what is the method used? Thanks

He is definitely right. As far as industrial production goes, I think that it's usually done by electrolysis of concentrated aqueous NaCl IIRC. If my electrochem brain is working today that means you should get Cl2 gas at the anode and NaOH at the cathode. No idea what kind of electrodes you would use for that. I don't recommend you try it either lest you get a whiff of Cl2.

EDIT: upon balancing this reaction on the little piece of paper next to me, I realized that you should get H2 as well at the cathode. So really don't try this!

Edited by mississippichem

First, I recommend carbon electrodes for the task.

Second, I am actually performing this experiment with baking soda as we speak, with a former Gameboy charger hooked up to the electrodes and bubbling quickly, much more so than a salt solution. Plus, no chlorine, just carbon dioxide. However, my electrodes seem to be corroding slowly, as the beaker is flooded with black particles.

Third, the synthesis of NaOH through Ca(OH)2 is kind of annoying me at present, due to the low solubility of Ca(OH)2 and thus vast amounts of solution needed.

Ca(OH)2 + Na2CO3 → CaCO3 + 2 NaOH (Stolen from Wikipedia)

If the electrolysis method works, I'm definitely using that.

What the heck is everyone smoking here? Calcium and Sodium are two completely different elements, you can't just convert calcium into sodium, at least not in any way that isn't impossible with current technology. If you have some sodium with you then you could quite easily make sodium hydroxide, as CaOH if I'm not mistaken is water soluble. But you can't just take CaOH and turn it into NaOH; that would be alchemy.

No one was promoting transmutation of metals, just simple chemistry. Perhaps try reading the thread. Elementcollector1 has already provided one reaction.

Third, the synthesis of NaOH through Ca(OH)2 is kind of annoying me at present, due to the low solubility of Ca(OH)2 and thus vast amounts of solution needed.

Ca(OH)2 + Na2CO3 → CaCO3 + 2 NaOH (Stolen from Wikipedia)