The smarter you are the more susceptible you are to religiosity?

Mr Rayon

Is it true that the smarter you are the more susceptible you are to religiosity?

Also, do the benefits of being religious (e.g. lower divorce rates, higher marriage rates, sense of purpose) out weigh any negatives from the possibility that there really is no God?

Christians do seem happier than non-Christians. Maybe it's time we all converted?

Is it true that the smarter you are the more susceptible you are to religiosity?

Also, do the benefits of being religious (e.g. lower divorce rates, higher marriage rates, sense of purpose) out weigh any negatives from the possibility that there really is no God?

Christians do seem happier than non-Christians. Maybe it's time we all converted?

"Smart" is not a very good qualifier to use in this instance. I would definitely say that the better educated you are, the less susceptible you are to religion.

I think you'll have to share some statistics about the "lower divorce rates, higher marriage rates, sense of purpose" part. And your perception of happy Christians differs with mine. Most of the kids who bullied my daughter and her friends during elementary school were from heavily Christian families. Maybe bullying others makes them happy, I don't know.

Um... proof?

Homosexual marriages end in fewer divorces than heterosexual couples. Perhaps you should become gay?

http://www.huffingto...e_n_977370.html

<Christians do seem happier than non-Christians. Maybe it's time we all converted?

In countries with high religiosity, the secular or members of minority religions are less happy than the majority religion. In countries where secularism is high, this is not the case. perhaps everyone should become secular?

As for intelligence... theists are much less common (though present) among scientists.

Edited by Keenidiot

"Smart" is not a very good qualifier to use in this instance. I would definitely say that the better educated you are, the less susceptible you are to religion.

I think you'll have to share some statistics about the "lower divorce rates, higher marriage rates, sense of purpose" part. And your perception of happy Christians differs with mine. Most of the kids who bullied my daughter and her friends during elementary school were from heavily Christian families. Maybe bullying others makes them happy, I don't know.

83 percent of Americans identify with a religious denomination,76.5% (159 million) of Americans identify themselves as Christian. Source: http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_prac2.htm

So two thirds of all people you see are or claim to be Christian. Odds are 1 in 3 that anyone you see happy (in this country) is going to be Christian just by the numbers. Of course if you were in India most happy people would be Hindu, by sheer numbers.

FYI:

At 9 years old I was asked by my Sunday school teacher to go to a closet in the hall and get some paper and pencils. There I found my friend’s mother with the minister (yes having sex). I took the pencils and left them at the door of the classroom and left.

!

Moderator Note

Mr Rayon, you've been asked a number of times not to just dump religion (and politics) threads into the Lounge. I'm tired of moving them, so I'm just going to lock them if I see them in the wrong area. You are free to ask another mod to move them for you, but I'm hoping that instead of that additional effort you'll just be motivated to get yourself forum-trained.