Do you like thrillers?

TonyMcC

I am very proud of my daughter Helen. She is in her late 40's and has been working through the Open University toward gaining academic qualifications. She has only a dissertation to complete in order to get her Master's Degree in English Literature.

In her spare time she has written a novel which she describes as an easy read, rather dark, mystery thriller. I have downloaded it but not yet had time to read more than a few chapters.

If you have a Kindle, or download books on your computer, and like this type of book it's title is "Hollywell" and the author is Helen Peden. It's available to download through Amazon. It costs only $3.05 to download.

As her father, you would not expect me to do anything other than praise the book so the following is a review from someone we don't know, who lives in the USA:-

5.0 out of 5 stars Joanne Graham, 5 Feb 2012

By Joannah Hewitt - Published on Amazon.com

This review is from: Hollywell (Kindle Edition)

Such an amazing book, with a very moorish story line! Absolutely loved it.The best thing about Hollywell was it wasn't predictable at all and was a really easy read. I had all different types of ideas of what was happening and it wasnt until the end when it all began to piece together. Ill definately be looking out for more.

Joanne

I realise this is in essence an advert, but it's not for a business - its to encourage an individual and may encourage others to study and realise a dream.

Edited by TonyMcC

It is in every way an advert - and entirely to be applauded. I have just purchased a copy of Hollywell on my Kindle (btw guys its actually only £2.05 in real money). Tony - the last person I bought a book from on a parent's recommendation ended up selling shed loads of books and is now a house-hold name; and I hope that Helen has similar success.

It is in every way an advert - and entirely to be applauded. I have just purchased a copy of Hollywell on my Kindle (btw guys its actually only £2.05 in real money). Tony - the last person I bought a book from on a parent's recommendation ended up selling shed loads of books and is now a house-hold name; and I hope that Helen has similar success.

Thank you, I'll let Helen know - hope it does prove a good read.

Do thrillers contain weird symbols that I will only be able to derive meaning from and be able to apply through hundreds of hours of painstaking mental labour?

No! Helen tells me it is an easy read - the sort of book you might take on holiday. Go on, take a chance, its only $3.05 !

Edited by TonyMcC

Maybe imatfaal--slips in question, what is an imatfaal--can give us a review so we can decide from there. I am not much into literature, and this is probably why my English teacher indicates to me that I am border line illiterate. My poor English isn't however reason enough for me to suddenly start reading; I require a little push. Will I cry, have a sudden bout of paranoia, not be able to turn my light off at night? Anything profound will do!

Maybe imatfaal--slips in question, what is an imatfaal--can give us a review so we can decide from there. I am not much into literature, and this is probably why my English teacher indicates to me that I am border line illiterate. My poor English isn't however reason enough for me to suddenly start reading; I require a little push. Will I cry, have a sudden bout of paranoia, not be able to turn my light off at night? Anything profound will do!

Your English seems at least as good as mine (which may or may not be saying much)! This description, copied from Amazon, gives you some idea of what you might expect.

Product Description

Hollywell is a mystery set in the last two decades of the Twentieth Century. Secrets are parasites whether they are are good or evil. Jean lives with dark secrets that cause her to take extraordinary actions to conceal them from the people she loves or fears. Her daughter Laura lives in a world of unsettling confusion where unremembered secrets from her past haunt her, only to find that learning the truth is far worse than her imagined fears. Dave and Jim try to help but the secrets are not theirs to reveal. Consequently their interference puts them in jeopardy. For all of them, trying to reveal a dark secret is unwise.

I didn't know trying to flog books (i.e.Informal To publicize aggressively: e.g. flogging a new book) was so hard. Just as well I don't earn my living this way!! - lol

Edited by TonyMcC

Have you read the book?

I'm about a quarter of the way through it - unfortunately I know how it ends, which rather takes away the suspense, but I don't know yet how effectively it has been written.

post-22702-0-81475200-1328997938_thumb.jpg

Edited by TonyMcC