Finding the wave function of a particle...

MajinVegeta

Originally posted by MajinVegeta

I heard that my aforementioned question is still contrevertial. I thought maybe we could specualte or something. :D

I don't know for sure, do they breakdown at singularities?

I can't conceive of how a wave function for a particle attribute could be preserved in a singularity.

Why can't you just use the schrodinger equation? If you new the particle's original velocity, and position, couldn't you know the probable position and velocity inside a singularity/black hole?

No, because neither position or momentum exist in a singularity. Remember that space is infinitely warped in a singularity.

Originally posted by Deslaar

No, because neither position or momentum exist in a singularity. Remember that space is infinitely warped in a singularity.

Oh, I get it! So like in a singularity, particles are "piled" on top of one another...?(not rhetorical):confused:

• 2 weeks later...

What is the radius of a singularity?

A singularity doesn't have radius (unless you say it has a radius of 0) . That's what makes it a singularity. A singularity is infinitely dense because the space it occupies is 0.

Are you getting confused with singularities and black holes? Black are products of singularities. A black hole does have a radius.

Are you getting confused with singularities and black holes? Black are products of singularities. A black hole does have a radius.

heh, yes, I usually do get singularities and black holes confused.

Anyway, what you said leads me to think that singularities DO emit schwartzchild radiation, and therefore evaporate.

Has anyone heard of something called a "naked singularity"? It is still strictly hypothesis, as it is still being debated over. (At least that's how its depicted in Stephen Hawking's "The Universe in a Nutshell").

• 3 weeks later...

Why can't you just use the schrodinger equation? If you new the particle's original velocity, and position, couldn't you know the probable position and velocity inside a singularity/black hole?

Hi, it's me Tom from Physics Forums. (I get around a lot :cool: )

The curvature of spacetime around a black hole demands a relativistic treatment. Since the Schrodinger equation is nonrelativistic, it cannot be used. You can, however, use relativistic quantum mechanics (RQM), which is the quantized Hamiltonian:

H2=(pc)2+(mc2)2

Amazingly, it is quantized according to the same rules as the nonrelativistic case, namely:

H-->i(hbar)d/dt

p-->-i(hbar)grad

RQM in curved spacetime has been worked out. I will come up with some references when I get home from work.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Tom

Hi, it's me Tom from Physics Forums. (I get around a lot :cool: )

Hi! *waves*

The curvature of spacetime around a black hole demands a relativistic treatment. Since the Schrodinger equation is nonrelativistic, it cannot be used. You can, however, use relativistic quantum mechanics (RQM), which is the quantized Hamiltonian:

H2=(pc)2+(mc2)2

Amazingly, it is quantized according to the same rules as the nonrelativistic case, namely:

H-->i(hbar)d/dt

p-->-i(hbar)grad

RQM in curved spacetime has been worked out. I will come up with some references when I get home from work.

Tom

I don't understand the use of the hamiltonian constant.

is "p" poise or momentum?

I don't understand the use of the hamiltonian constant.

In classical mechanics, the Hamiltonian is the total energy. In quantum mechanics, it becomes an operator. When that operator acts on the wavefunction, you get the Schrodinger equation.

is "p" poise or momentum?

p=momentum

Tom