transferring the contents of one computer into another.

Moontanman

Can I transfer the data from my old computer into the one I currently use? How is it done?

Here is an official link - http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/tech-tips-and-tricks/how-to-transfer-files-to-a-new-compute.html

For myself, most of what I want to keep is either in "my documents" or "my pictures". In that case saving these two files to a hard disc will make them available for transferring back to the new computer. However, my computer needs are simple and few!

Here is an official link - http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/tech-tips-and-tricks/how-to-transfer-files-to-a-new-compute.html

For myself, most of what I want to keep is either in "my documents" or "my pictures". In that case saving these two files to a hard disc will make them available for transferring back to the new computer. However, my computer needs are simple and few!

I appreciate the information but my computer uses windows xp and the old computer is windows 98, do you know how I can I do from those computers?

For Windows systems:

-- Windows XP or Later: All of your data are kept in a file named by your "username" under folder named "User(s)"

-- Old Windows versions: The data are kept in a folder under "C:\\Windows\Profiles\", folder name\structure vary

For Unix-based (Linux\Mac) systems: data are kept in a file named by your "username" under "/home/"

I appreciate the information but my computer uses windows xp and the old computer is windows 98, do you know how I can I do from those computers?

This is not something I have done. I usually just save any files I want to an external hard disc and then transfer them back to the new computer. However here is another link specifically about Windows 98 to XP transfer. http://www.ehow.com/how_2052293_copy-files-from-windows-98.html

For Windows systems:

-- Windows XP or Later: All of your data are kept in a file named by your "username" under folder named "User(s)"

-- Old Windows versions: The data are kept in a folder under "C:\\Windows\Profiles\", folder name\structure vary

For Unix-based (Linux\Mac) systems: data are kept in a file named by your "username" under "/home/"

I'm not sure how this helps, i know the names of the files, how do i transfer them?

I'm not sure how this helps, i know the names of the files, how do i transfer them?

Usually I compress these files as a backup .. when moving unto a new system, decompress the file

.. then copy data manually from within to the other system's specific user profile folders

It's very simple .. under a user folder in any system, it has common folders:

- Desktop

- Documents

- Photos

- Music

- Video

some are optional, like:

- Favorites (Internet Explorer favorites list)

- .bashrc (startup configuration file for unix-based system terminal)

So, you simply copy data from "..\Backup\Desktop\" to "..\[username]\Desktop\"

If you are using DOS (the Windows system terminal), you can do this (in XP\7): copy .\Backup\Desktop\*.* C:\Users\[username]\Desktop\

note: [ *.* ] = any file name with any extension, works under Windows only .. in linux use [ * ]

Or the easier way, to do a manual copy using the mouse and CTRL+C (copy) then CTRL+V (Paste) OR right-click and "Copy" then right-click and "Paste"

Are you computer savvy enough to temporarily remove the hard drive from the old machine to mount in the new machine? I usually do this and just copy the files from one drive to the other.

Win98 did not ship with drivers for usb flash drives. You can find them on the internet though. A flash drive would be more practical for copying files than a floppy if you can't put the win98 hard drive in the winxp machine as a 2nd drive temporarily.