Being Heros, and reasons why?

rigney

Here is a Greek almost unknown, the tourist may notice the small stele down the hill of the Acropolis

koukidis.jpg

"27th April 1941

the day of the entrance of the German troops in Athens

Constantin Koukidis guard of the Greek flag at the Acropolis

refusing to give the flag jumped from the holy rock wreathed in it

first in the fight for resistance."

It was a young boy alone in front of the german officers Jacobi and Elsnits.

A few days before, the Greek Prime Minister Alexander Koryzis had commited suicide not willing to surrender.

Edited by michel123456

To me, a hero is someone who unselfishly endangers his/her own life to help others. Someone who risks everything in everyday-life, for example by jumping in front of a truck to save a kid, is to me the ultimate hero.

With the exception of WWII (fighting the nazis) and the Cold War (trying to keep both parties from destroying everybody), there hasn't been a conflict which I think was worth fighting. Soldiers seem to risk their lives to help some leader or politicians achieve some goals, and I just cannot share the enthusiasm for that. Can someone be a hero, when he unselfishly helps someone to achieve something wrong?

Therefore, the example that rigney shows is a real hero. An American who volunteered to assist the British to fight against the nazis. But, to me, real heroes are especially people like the guys who went into that Fukushima meltdown to fix a broken nuclear reactor. Or in general firefighters and lifeguards. Or doctors helping patients with highly contageous diseases... etc, etc... those are the heroes for which we never seem to get any statues and songs. But without such people, we probably wouldn't be here.

To me, a hero is someone who unselfishly endangers his/her own life to help others. Someone who risks everything in everyday-life, for example by jumping in front of a truck to save a kid, is to me the ultimate hero.

With the exception of WWII (fighting the nazis) and the Cold War (trying to keep both parties from destroying everybody), there hasn't been a conflict which I think was worth fighting. Soldiers seem to risk their lives to help some leader or politicians achieve some goals, and I just cannot share the enthusiasm for that. Can someone be a hero, when he unselfishly helps someone to achieve something wrong?

Therefore, the example that rigney shows is a real hero. An American who volunteered to assist the British to fight against the nazis. But, to me, real heroes are especially people like the guys who went into that Fukushima meltdown to fix a broken nuclear reactor. Or in general firefighters and lifeguards. Or doctors helping patients with highly contageous diseases... etc, etc... those are the heroes for which we never seem to get any statues and songs. But without such people, we probably wouldn't be here.

Heros come in all shapes, flavors and sizes. For anyone to thinks a Nation has a "leg up" on Heros, it's a very ignorant and dangerous thing to assume. As long as this world turns, someone, somewhere will always go beyond what is expected of them to produce what we think of as, a hero. Even Attila the Hun had his following.

As for trying to juxtipose angels and heros, I find it impossible. Folks who can make that distinction have a lot of faith in something? The article was very well written. Thanks for sharing the link.