Economic crisis: the end of an era or the beginning of a new one ?

skanda

Hello,

so i am asking a question. As what do you perceive the economic crisis? The beginning of a downfall or an oppurtunity for change? Will we be seeing more conflicts between countries?Is this the appropriate time to blaim each other for the situation that we are dealing with?

I am a 17 year old student living in Greece a country that has been deeply afflicted by the economic crisis. However , i believe that this is a perfect opportunity for all nations like Greece to evolve and rejuvenate. This optimistic view may be a result of my age, so perhaps i am mistaken. Feel free to argue with my statement. I am interested in all possible opinions.Thank you for your time

I am of the opinion that most Nations will do just that, evolve and rejuvenate. There will be a push forward in most countries, towards new industries involving technology and medicine. We are at a point where we can finally devote the manpower needed to solve some of the more pressing issues that concern humanity. Here in Canada, where the majority of the country still remains undeveloped, we are seeing the closing of industries related to development and production. These industries are being replaced and a push is being made towards industries that are centered around the evolving of the species.

I think that the Americans will be the weighting factor that decides the outcome of the whole. Swansont's blog about the American view of science is reality pressing its nose into the worlds affairs. Many Americans are driven by their faith in their religion, and most of whom are, see it fit to ignore any scientific truths. When things get tough, the pit-bull that we call America is going to show its teeth, and true colours. How the Americans deal with their situation will decide how the pieces fit back together posthumously. But this is already agreed upon right?

Young people here in Canada talk a lot. There are a good many young people who have immigrated from other countries that reside in Canada. Many of the young Indian men are talking about how China is going to rise and they believe there will be a new alliance between the two countries that will form a super power. Much of this stems from issues with race, and they are often concerned with there being an opportunity for individuals of darker skin colour in taking their place amongst the worlds most influential leaders. I hear much of the same coming from the Chinese gentlemen that I meet. Again, very much a concern about the need for racial glorification, even despite ongoing alliances.

I am hoping for, as well as expecting the best, but I am still quite concerned for the future. A push away from science would mean a reversion to a much earlier mentality. If this were to happen, I would quickly be executed, and this makes me rather sadfaced.

The beginning of a downfall AND an oppurtunity for change, imo. Much of the world is starting to see the failure of their leadership, the corruption of values they hold that have nothing to do with organized efforts to make them afraid to live, and the stupidity of continued aggression among a species that gains its true power from cooperation and communication.

As long as we remember that we hold more power together, I think we'll turn this crisis into an opportunity. We need to avoid drastic measures and not let fear guide our actions.

Unfortunately, during times of great economic turmoil like these, extremist positions tend to gain traction, and the influence of hate groups and bigots often grows. We're already hearing strongly negative views from many Europeans toward Greeks, and that's not helpful.

Unfortunately, during times of great economic turmoil like these, extremist positions tend to gain traction, and the influence of hate groups and bigots often grows. We're already hearing strongly negative views from many Europeans toward Greeks, and that's not helpful.

Very true. I worry that we'll have another "Patriot Act" type legislation railroaded across our liberties in the name of economic stability. Inevitable problems with manufactured solutions are the only conspiracies I truly believe in these days. Many people in power see these times of crisis as big opportunities as well.

In addition consider this, with the economic crisis bringing about chaos in the financial system of the world, new paths for innovation and expandment can be visited. One fair example i am aware of are the upcoming pharmaceutical companies which are called upon to deal with diseases that pharmaceutical giants avoid due to their economic hazard. Of course there are many other similar examples that indicate we are in an altering phase

Both, none, trying to 'sum up' the direction the entire world is taking is pointless.

There'd be too many exceptions. Millions upon millions of people left out of any grand pronouncement.

Some people are profiting from the downturn that's hurting others:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqN3amj6AcE

This video has been making the rounds. Note, that I am not agreeing with a thing this man says.

Just that some people view opportunity when everything is falling apart.

Apparently, stock in alcohol is a great investment no matter what the economic climate is.

Also, Bruce Sterling has an interesting bit about a 'good' or 'bad' future, as found on Mavericks of the Mind:

David: Are you optimistic about the future, and do you think that the human race is going to survive the next hundred years?

Bruce: People always ask me that, but I think it’s a bad question to ask. Are you optimistic about the future? Or are you pessimistic about the future? Nobody would ask that of somebody who was studying the 18th Century instead of the 21st. Like, are you optimistic about the 18th Century? Or pessimistic about it? I try not to allow a set of emotional attitudes to put blinkers on me. I mean, if I were optimistic about the Eighteenth Century I could go and write a history of the 18th Century that said, in the 18th Century things were great! And if I were a pessimist, I could say, the 18th Century was a living hell! But, in point of fact, the 18th century was both at once, depending on circumstances and point of view. And every other century has always been both at once. So I’m inclined to think that most future centuries will also be both at once, and that questions like, “are you an optimist? Or are you a pessimist?” are just an invitation to ignore a lot of the evidence.

Edited by bbrubaker