Do you think scrubbers are useful?

fishermangeorgerando

Do you think scrubbers are actually helping the environment? My opinion is that it's really not that useful because it creates more problems than solved. So much of the residue from the reactions in the scrubbers need further processing.

So, if you remove pollution from some exhaust, but it needs further processing, does that mean you don't see the point of removing it in the first place, or would you sauggest that we must find a more efficient way to remove and convert the pollution into something useful?

Let's take an example of an industrial scrubber: removal of ammonia from an exhaust stream. The options are:

1. Blow ammonia (NH3) into the air. The neighbors really won't enjoy that (it really smells, and it's toxic).

2. Use a scrubber, and create a diluted stream of dissolved ammonia. Needs upgrading, but at least it keeps the neighbors happy.

3. Do something amazing, and efficient. But nobody knows how.

Option 1 is not an option for obvious reasons. Option 3 just does not exist. And that leaves option 2. So... what's wrong with it?

Do you think scrubbers are actually helping the environment? My opinion is that it's really not that useful because it creates more problems than solved. So much of the residue from the reactions in the scrubbers need further processing.

It may need more processing, but at least you know where it is to process.

the function of scrubbers is not to destroy unwanted flue gasses. It's job is to remove them from the exhaust stream so that they can be processed into something less harmful.

You can't process the harmful stuff while it is in the exhaust stream.

This is like saying 'are recycling bins useful? because they don't actually recycle anything, they need further processing'

It's true, but thats not what the purpose of the object is.

You can't process the harmful stuff while it is in the exhaust stream.

That depends on product and application. I'm not sure what kind of chemicals or the application for use that is being discussed, but you can see a perfect example of the reuse of fuel exhaust, while in the system, when you look at the tier 3 exhaust systems in motor vehicles. From my understanding it utillizes exhaustion bey reburning the fuel that is left in the exhaust after the initial burn. Making the emissions lower and getting a better fuel economy.