What can I major in?

Mrl4

I am now in my last year of school and I have to start sending applications to universities in the next couple of months. The problem is that I don't know what to major in, and I don't want to skip any years (gap year). I really love chemistry but I don't want to end up being a chemistry teacher and would like to make some good money.

What majors involve the following subjects: Chemistry (mostly), Physics and Maths (both less than chemistry)?

I gave PharmD a thought but apparently working in the industry is pretty hard: you have to work over-time, the work conditions aren't that pretty and your job isn't that secure in the large firms. I also love experimenting with new chemicals and creating new ones...

What do you think would be a good major for me?

Thanks. :)

LOL. I think I have a bigger chance in becoming a teacher rather than a political figure.

Actually, I find it interesting to work in the research department but I don't know where (what kind of companies have such a position as chemical researcher...). And is it well-paid? Are there enough jobs out there?

• 2 weeks later...

Not having received many answers, I'd like to ask whether pharmaceuticals are a good field or not. Will it grow in the future?<BR>And is PharmD a good major? <BR>I'm not in the US, so it would be preferable that you tell me about the situation in Europe and the UAE. However, all answers are welcome.<BR>Thanks!

Edited by Mrl4

Not having received many answers, I'd like to ask whether pharmaceuticals are a good field or not. Will it grow in the future?<BR>And is PharmD a good major? <BR>I'm not in the US, so it would be preferable that you tell me about the situation in Europe and the UAE. However, all answers are welcome.<BR>Thanks!

There are lots of jobs for chemists. Drug companies are only one of the major industries that need chemists. If you want to do research a PhD is highly recommended. Many research jobs require one and it is a big plus for any research job.

There are lots of jobs for chemists. Drug companies are only one of the major industries that need chemists. If you want to do research a PhD is highly recommended. Many research jobs require one and it is a big plus for any research job.

So what major do you recommend to start with? Is PharmD good in this situation? And how long would it take to get to the PhD?

Thanks.

With regards to jobs and job security, I would not aim for an academic job, if that really is your major concern. Mind you, it is fairly easy to get postdoctoral positions (which are usually not well paid), but in contrast to industrial experience, anything above roughly 3-6 years (depends strongly on field, so that is a rough estimate), counts against you in terms of academic jobs.

Positions that are purely research are relatively rare (both in and outside academia), so that is something to keep in mind (in academia much of your time will be occupied by teaching, lab management and grant writing, for instance). A degree in pharmacy tends to be a good entry point into pharma companies though.

So what major do you recommend to start with? Is PharmD good in this situation? And how long would it take to get to the PhD?

Thanks.

Start and end with that which interests you. The subect may change diuring your studies.

A PhD takes as long as it takes you to do original research and make a significant contribution to the field of study. I know of people who have done very high quality PhD work withing 3 years of matriculating as a freshman and others who barely squeaked out after a decade in graduate school.