Electric and magnetic field effect on electromagnetic wave

Jacques

Not to my knowledge. Not under normal engineering conditions.

But an experiment was (is?) made in Italy trying to detect a similar effect, where a magnetic field would rotate the polarization of light. Did this imply the creation-annihilation of a pair of exotic particles on the trip? I don't remember.

And I wonder... Imagine for instance a photon with just under 2*511keV passing by a heavy nucleus: it must create a virtual electron-positron pair that lasts for some time, and this pair is influenced by the nucleus, especially by the gradient of the electric field. Would this deviate the re-created photon?

Relativistic effects of huge fields? A magnetic or electric field is energy so maybe it deviates light as mass does. One person at Physforum could answer that.

But an experiment was (is?) made in Italy trying to detect a similar effect, where a magnetic field would rotate the polarization of light. Did this imply the creation-annihilation of a pair of exotic particles on the trip? I don't remember.

Do you have a link? If you do this in a medium it's Faraday rotation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_effect

• 2 weeks later...