How to find out if the food is drugged in a Restaurant

Rohan Cholkar

I am a chef by profession and love eating out and taste food outside of my own Reataurant. There is a particular Small Time restaurant I go to with my friends where they serve a lamb or chicken preparation which is extremly spicy...so spicy that you would not dare make this at home. However just one bite and you can not resist eating the whole serving given to your self. everytime I finish the meal I vow not to go back again however an irresestibale temptation comes back next day to go back..

First I thought it was my liking for food and food is really nice which takes me back to the place. However being a chef my self I know for a fact that it's humanly impossible to make apreparation which will make someone to have such a spicy meal almost every day in day out. Also when one starts eating this food you almost feel that the feeling of eating will over power your basic sense of volume appetite one may have at that point and land up overeating it.

What I am sharing here is not my experience alone but almost everyone who has eaten out there shares the same feeling.

Is there any way to find out if the food is drugged which can trigger such a compulsive feeling of eating.

Do share your views.

not easily or cheaply.

i suppose you could just not go to the restaurant and dry and diagnose any withdrawal symptoms that may or may not appear.

but then, you may just really really like the food itself. plenty of people like spicy food (my boss puts something called 'Dave's Insanity Sauce' on everything he eats. Including fruit.) and eat it every day. maybe you've just found something you really like.

Invite some athletes to eat there, then watch the news. :D

(Or don't do this as it would be immoral)

Avoid the immorality and leak the story directly to the local news. Tell them you suspect this particular dish is being dosed with something to make it addictive, and encourage them to investigate.

If it's true, you've done your city a great service, and furthered the career of a reporter. If it's false, the news station is out the money for the lab test, which is a write-off on their taxes. If it's false but they run the story anyway, you've given the restaurant a huge dose of publicity, which will allow them to continue to produce this ambrosia you're drawn to.

You probably just like the food...

But if it bothers you so bad, take out and test the sample for tox

I am a chef by profession and love eating out and taste food outside of my own Reataurant. There is a particular Small Time restaurant I go to with my friends where they serve a lamb or chicken preparation which is extremly spicy...so spicy that you would not dare make this at home. However just one bite and you can not resist eating the whole serving given to your self. everytime I finish the meal I vow not to go back again however an irresestibale temptation comes back next day to go back..

First I thought it was my liking for food and food is really nice which takes me back to the place. However being a chef my self I know for a fact that it's humanly impossible to make apreparation which will make someone to have such a spicy meal almost every day in day out. Also when one starts eating this food you almost feel that the feeling of eating will over power your basic sense of volume appetite one may have at that point and land up overeating it.

What I am sharing here is not my experience alone but almost everyone who has eaten out there shares the same feeling.

Is there any way to find out if the food is drugged which can trigger such a compulsive feeling of eating.

Do share your views.

• 4 weeks later...

If you are a chef, then you probably know that the inspection comes to every restaurant every now and then. Perhaps it is possible to contact them anonymously, and give a tip that you suspect something weird is going on.

Obviously, it's a little strange too that a chef in a different (competing) restaurant would give a tip against another restaurant, so if it's not anonymous, I would be careful.