Liar Liar Pants on Fire

truth be known

I just checked the banned and suspended list .. wowzo .. so many bad, bad people in susch a short space of time, makes me wonder if the moderators are honest, but then, I don't have to wonder about at least one of them.

"Aristarchus in Exile has been banned for repeated failure to back up extraordinary claims, off-topic arguments, failure to answer direct questions, and finally a personal request to be banned."

This is the second "a personal request to be banned" found in a short search of the banned list. I asked my good friend Aristarchus if he had asked for a ban, and he said "No." Check his posts. Can you find his request for banishment? Nay. Is the forum moderator dishonest? Yea. Shame. Shame. Tsk Tsk Tsk.

Just for the record the moderators here, in my opinion, do a fine job.

Your "good friend Aristarchus" had some extreme views that I personally found pretty offensive. As an example a series of posts seeming to link the SE Asian tsunami of 2004 with the name (!) and a supposed sleazy nature of Phuket are pretty tasteless. And when asked to justify any claims he found it easier to attack the position of those asking for proof or revert to wild anecdotes

Your "good friend Aristarchus" said he expected to be banned, which meant he realized that he was breaking the rules and yet did it anyway, so it's not like this was a surprise. The ban note said a personal request, so you aren't going to find the transcript of a personal message on the boards.

He also said farewell a couple of times, and we wouldn't have wanted him to be a hypocrite by returning after such a declaration. Saying farewell after posts that demand disciplinary action is a pretty clear signal you want to be banned.

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/60781-does-hatred-cause-cancer/page__st__20__p__634165#entry634165

Hold on guys. Do I understand this correctly:

1) Truth be Known is a sockpuppet of Aristarchus in Exile?

2) His actions were those of a person who knew they were infringing the rules and expected to be banned.

3) He did not actually send a pm explicitly asking to be banned?

4) The reason given for banning him included the reason that he had made a personal request to be banned.

Please confirm, clarify or amend these points, if you don't mind?

1) No, we now think it may indeed just be a friend (which is great).

2) Yes. He was warned about breaking the rules, but he took that to mean we were going to ban him any day now. So he started posting like he was a condemned man.

3) No, he started a goodbye thread. His personal messages were mostly just derogatory slurs against science in general and the forum specifically. I know it's a shock, but it seems we're all like this, every science forum has kicked him out.

4) Yes, but I'm only privy to the private messages he sent to me. Regardless, he certainly earned a ban on simple rule breaking.

Since his request is open to interpretation, I have no problem editing the reason for his ban. He certainly earned it strictly from ignoring the rules. Though sent in private, I have no problems showing his messages to me, along with my replies.

Edit: Sorry, I keep cross-posting with others.

I would urge you to edit the stated reason for the banning.

He did not request to be banned. You know he did not request to be banned. You stated that he did request to be banned. Regardless of extenuating circumstances, etc this is quite simply a lie. You cannot in good conscious make demands of YEC's, conspiracy theorists and creator's of spurious Theories of Everything, when you are practicing such sloppy ethics. It does not meet the standards we should expect on this forum.