is everything just photons? redux

Mystery111

Yeah, I know, Swanson

Isn't planck's constant proof that a photon has energy independent of it's frequency...

do photons interact with electromagnetic radiation or are they electromagnetic radiation?*

confused.gif

Got it backwards. A photon's energy is defined by its wavelength. A photon IS electromagnetic radiation also.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what is the purpose of h?

why not just e=v

mississippichem was saying that a photon's energy is defined by its wavelength. That doesn't mean it's soley dependent on upon it.

Think about units here. Wavelengths are defined by meters. Energy is joules. A statement that e=v just doesn't make any sense.

no.My understanding is that waves have frequency and amplitude,but in light the amplitude has a constant of "h",therefore the higher the frequency the more energy.The amplitude is always "h"?

In musical instruments the amplitude of a wave depends on size of instrument,therefore the constant "h" is related to the the size of the big bang.In another universe with a bigger big bang,amplitude would be "h+"?Or am i misunderstanding something.

Edited by derek w