speech topic

Ice_Phoenix87

How about:

1. What are the effects of increased tourism on the Great Barrier Reef?

2. Can nanotechnology be used to create orbital space platforms thereby reducing costs due to reaching escape velocity?

3. Is Spongebob Squarepants based on the life of a real sponge person?

Who are your audience?

What are they expecting to hear?

What are their background and interests?

(Do they really want to be there?)

What is the goal of the speech? (You say it's to become a 'youth ambassador for Australia', so the judges are your primary audience, but they will be assessing the interest of the general audience.)

How do your interests and experience compare with those of the audience?

How do your interests and experience match the goal of the speech?

How long do you have to speak for?

When you have answered those in detail a subject should leap out at you.

I take it that you have done a fair amount of speechmaking and debating in the past, but some points that are worth considering carefully for this one, as it sounds important.

1. Don't read the speech. Put key phrases down on index cards and use those to keep yourself on track.

2. Rehearse the speech multiple times so you can get the timing, pace, delivery and emphasis just right. That way the cards are there as insurance only.

3. Make eye contact with every member of the audience, continuously sweeping, but paying particular attention to the judges.

4. Have a clear beginning, middle and end. Make sure the beginning and end have a clear link. i.e. set up some kind of tension in the opening that is resolved in the ending.

For example, you could open by saying 'The last thing I want to be is a youth ambassador for Australia.' That will make everybody sit up, as they think 'what's he talking about?!' and 'how is he going to talk his way out of this one?' You then work through all of the aspects of the role asking of each of them 'Now would anyone really want to do that?', but doing that in a manner that makes it clear that there is a growing sense that yes 'they' would and you would. You then close by saying 'So I can say with confidence that this role is so important, that it represents a pinnacle of achievement set against what I have done so far that very definitely the last thing I want to be is a youth ambassador for Australia.'

Corny, but the point I'm seeking to make is connectivity. Most poor speeches fall down because they lack connectivity. All excellent speeches succeed in part because they have it.

Good luck. Let us all know how you do.

Icebreaker jokes are the key to a success speech. :)

"Hey, does anyone here know the difference between a mosquito and a youth ambassador?"

*audience sits quiet wondering "wtf, mate?"* :)

"Wow, no one? Well, if we meet after high school, please don't slap me!"

Ok that was a silly one. And I don't even know if you're in high school. :P But jokes are good, generally. Perhaps not in a speech involving AIDS treatment or the like.

Who are your audience?

What are they expecting to hear?

What are their background and interests?

(Do they really want to be there?)

What is the goal of the speech? (You say it's to become a 'youth ambassador for Australia'' date=' so the judges are your primary audience, but they will be assessing the interest of the general audience.)[/quote']

i think that those are quite important too...

pressumably you would want to talk about a political subject, most probably something which if carried out would benefit others (preferably a large majority or at least a powerful ally), tourism brings money to the country and helps the economy, whereas health is in everyone's interest.

hehe, speeches are alittle scary :P and i often end up reading fast and mumbling :P
No. Speeches are terrifying. Use the adrenalin rush to your advantage. But prepare. preparation. preparation. preparation.

Also don't be afraid to use the pause. Gather your thoughts, prepare for the next statement. Glide into it.