High Speed Chase Solution

Airbrush

The EM pulse thread got me thinking of this. It is possible to make high speed police chases obsolete, IF all cars manufactured have some kind of sensor on the back bumper. Old cars can be retrofitted with this at not much cost. This sensor is tamper proof and is connected to a system that shuts off the gas, or whatever you need to shut off to bring a speeding car to a gradual stop. You don't want to lock their steering. The police simply point a special device at the speeding car, trigger it and it activates the shut down system in the bad guy's car. Anyone know how to do this?

Edited by Airbrush

There's a couple fairly hard problems to overcome: Making the sensor tamper-proof, and making it only usable by the police. If you build such a device, and one of the police's special car-disabling devices is stolen, is there a way to prevent it from being used to stop cars willy-nilly? Is resolving car chases worth this public safety hazard?

I think onstar or something like that is way ahead of you, they can unlock it, start it, and shut your car down for you remotely as well... The police can call and have your car shut down and nothing is tamper proof.... I think it's disturbing that someone can call and have your car shut down....

Microwaves Cap'n? Hmmm, I'd like to be able to EM Pulse those cars that sound like rolling earth quakes as they go by late at night, those things are just stupid and rude, I don't mind if you play the music loud but why do you need me to hear it, roll up your windows and act like you have a modicum of respect for those around you! ooops, OT, sorry, lol but if this catches on with rednecks, country music up that loud would be certain to drive me insane, well more insane, lol