free books

Ghaz

people kindly let me know where can i find the gene cloning book by T A Brown .............every site i visited wants a registration ..............give me the link to the free downloadable sites

downloading books is one of the most important job of internet ..............if you are not using net for such purspose i wonder why you are using it

Ya, it is better to search the net for specific issues rather than download the books.

You can use it for whatever you want, but you can't use it for illegal purposes in this forum.

Agreed, but not strictly true, if someone was from a country where it was legal, than you could post the link and you'd be following the rules. Ghaz may be living somewhere where it's legal too.

No, this forum has rules. These ARE the rules, and for that matter, downloading a bootlegged copy of a book is illegal in most countries, the US and England included, which the server sits in.

Also, this isn't a public domain, it's a private forum, with certain rules. These are the rules, and while we might take input on some, in THIS particular case, and in the service of protecting ourselves and our admins legally, this is not up for debate.

I'm pretty sure that if you WANT to find such items, you can find them yourself, or, alternatively, find quite a lot of other forums that allow for these type of questions. This ScienceForums is not the address for it.

No, this forum has rules. These ARE the rules, and for that matter, downloading a bootlegged copy of a book is illegal in most countries, the US and England included, which the server sits in.

Also, this isn't a public domain, it's a private forum, with certain rules. These are the rules, and while we might take input on some, in THIS particular case, and in the service of protecting ourselves and our admins legally, this is not up for debate.

I'm pretty sure that if you WANT to find such items, you can find them yourself, or, alternatively, find quite a lot of other forums that allow for these type of questions. This ScienceForums is not the address for it.

Sorry, everything looks like a brainteaser to me. I don't understand how it would go against the rules if the posters met the qualifications I described, but interesting point about where the server sits, although that shouldn't have any effect on what they say IMO, because how would they know where it sits (till now). I'm going to do some research on legality of that because I find it fascinating how leaders have decided to set up laws.

I'm not trying to say that the mods can't use common sense and I'm not trying to say that someone should post a reply with a link in it. I totally understand what your saying (I think) and agree mostly, except o. whether it is strictly against the rules.

No, I don't want to find such stuff, why risk getting in trouble for something like a book (or anything for that matter).

Edited by Brainteaserfan

Sorry, everything looks like a brainteaser to me. I don't understand how it would go against the rules if the posters met the qualifications I described, but interesting point about where the server sits, although that shouldn't have any effect on what they say IMO, because how would they know where it sits (till now). I'm going to do some research on legality of that because I find it fascinating how leaders have decided to set up laws.

I'm not trying to say that the mods can't use common sense and I'm not trying to say that someone should post a reply with a link in it. I totally understand what your saying (I think) and agree mostly, except o. whether it is strictly against the rules.

No, I don't want to find such stuff, why risk getting in trouble for something like a book (or anything for that matter).

I understand what you're saying, but we would like to cover our rears, specially since the people who maintain this site do so volunteering, and do not have an army of lawyers behind them to protect them in case something happens, even if it's in they "grey" zone.

So the rule is relatively simple.. if it MAY be illegal, it probably is best to avoid it.

~mooey[pp

downloading books is one of the most important job of internet ..............if you are not using net for such purspose i wonder why you are using it

I suspect I won't get an answer for it, but I am curious, with an attitude like this, why would anyone even want to write a book if it is just going to be copied? And, on the flip side, if you place any value on a book, why not recompense the author for taking the time to write it and compiling the knowledge into one convenient place, the editors for editing it, the publisher for using their resources to publish it, etc. etc.?

My personal opinion is that I don't particularly enjoy paying the higher prices books are these days -- but I pay them so that more and newer books continue to come out.

Edited by Bignose

I suspect I won't get an answer for it, but I am curious, with an attitude like this, why would anyone even want to write a book if it is just going to be copied? And, on the flip side, if you place any value on a book, why not recompense the author for taking the time to write it and compiling the knowledge into one convenient place, the editors for editing it, the publisher for using their resources to publish it, etc. etc.?

There is another issue I personally am bothered with (a bit of a tangential issue) which is also the fact that books -- specially textbooks for college -- cost A LOT of money, disproportionately to their actual value, and yet the authors get miniscule amount of the profits.

An average hardcover book costs around 20 bucks. Why is a same-size hardcover that deals with college-level science cost more than 100 dollars? And the author isn't getting any real cut out of this..

I am *against* book copying, specially these days when you can get books relatively cheaper for the e-readers. I am, however, quite annoyed with the extremely arrogant attitude by publishers, taking advantage of the fact that students have NO CHOICE but to buy specific books, and put insane prices on them.

people it is legal to download a book freely in our country ............and if net is providing options to downbload i don think there is any harm in downloading it because all chapters of a particular book are not important we need only few portions to study and for that buying the whole book is not useful ...........it costs alot too.......i am not here for some illegal work so stop debating on that :(

Edited by Ghaz

people it is legal to download a book freely in our country .

Here is the thing: unless it is in the public domain or otherwise distributed freely, it is not legal. I agree that textbooks are too expensive. Getting used ones is probably the best way to reduce costs, though some argue that this is one of the reasons why the prices are so high...

Here is the thing: unless it is in the public domain or otherwise distributed freely, it is not legal. I agree that textbooks are too expensive. Getting used ones is probably the best way to reduce costs, though some argue that this is one of the reasons why the prices are so high...

Agreed. I was tyring to make a point about why people even LOOK for copied book, not to justify it.

Also, Ghaz, we're not discussing whether or not you should do something illegal, we're NOTIFYING you that this isn't acceptable in the forum.

I'm quite sure if you insist, you can find other places to do this particular activity. It won't be here, though.

There is another issue I personally am bothered with (a bit of a tangential issue) which is also the fact that books -- specially textbooks for college -- cost A LOT of money, disproportionately to their actual value, and yet the authors get miniscule amount of the profits.

An average hardcover book costs around 20 bucks. Why is a same-size hardcover that deals with college-level science cost more than 100 dollars? And the author isn't getting any real cut out of this..

Let me start by agreeing that average cost of a college text is too high in my opinion.

But, it is a question of sales. The average hardback will sell more copies than any college textbook. Many, many more copies. If the publisher only can make $1 a copy, they make their investment in volume. This does not work for college texts. They have to make their profit from a large margin on very low quantities of sales. It is the same idea behind journal articles, too, which only make money from the subscriptions paid by the universities and institutions that subscribe to them.

I do think that self-publishing is going to be more prevalent in the sciences. Either publishing a collection of lecture notes online, or using one of those services that will bind them together, etc.

A real question is that in the future, as the actual paper copy of books becomes less common, is: what does the publisher actually do for scientific texts and papers? I mean, they are peer-reviewed, not reviewed by people at the publishers, so they don't have to hire experts to determine if the work is worthy of being printed or not. E-publishing doesn't really require a facility and certainly not a printing press anymore. A computer server is just about it, right?

Lock please.

If you have a request for the staff, please use the report button, Genecks. There's a discussion going on, you don't have to participate in it, that doesn't mean we need to lock the thread.

Let me start by agreeing that average cost of a college text is too high in my opinion.

But, it is a question of sales. The average hardback will sell more copies than any college textbook. Many, many more copies. If the publisher only can make $1 a copy, they make their investment in volume. This does not work for college texts. They have to make their profit from a large margin on very low quantities of sales. It is the same idea behind journal articles, too, which only make money from the subscriptions paid by the universities and institutions that subscribe to them.

I get it, and yet 140 dollars for a ~200 page hard cover book is making me very very angry. So much so, that I don't blame people who go look for a copied version.

There's no reason for the book to cost that much money; not unless it was written with gold trimmings. Which it wasn't.

A real question is that in the future, as the actual paper copy of books becomes less common, is: what does the publisher actually do for scientific texts and papers? I mean, they are peer-reviewed, not reviewed by people at the publishers, so they don't have to hire experts to determine if the work is worthy of being printed or not. E-publishing doesn't really require a facility and certainly not a printing press anymore. A computer server is just about it, right?

Yeah, you don't even need that anymore.. you can upload a PDF to a dozen different FREE services taht allow you to host it. Or you can make it a blog-style read. Or oyu can sell your PDF online - whcih is totally fair, and you end up getting *all* the money rather than the publisher getting most of it and you're getting barely anything, and there's no overhead.

I don't think the publishers will like it very much, but I think that if they won't jump on that bandwagon SOON, they might end up getting left behind.

~mooey

I think the publishers also realise they have a captive audience and they milk it. Whilst academic text books are expensive (in law they tend to be below 100quid) - professional texts are amazingly expensive. I have just had to shell out over 500quid (well my company did) for a book - the publisher claimed it was the best-selling in the subject area and the bookshop had to re-order so the publisher are doing very nicely thank you very much and selling a good number of books.

There are literally thousands of texts on shipping (my bit of interest) for the layman - so the publishers have to compete on price and they do so to a great extent; there are dozens of good general academic books on shipping law so the competition is still there but not fierce enough to drive down the price much; and there tend to be only one or two specialized professional texts on each individual area - so practically no need to compete.

I am *against* book copying, specially these days when you can get books relatively cheaper for the e-readers. I am, however, quite annoyed with the extremely arrogant attitude by publishers, taking advantage of the fact that students have NO CHOICE but to buy specific books, and put insane prices on them.

I think that there are several problems.

One is the captive customer base that you note.

Another relates to the use of "customized" texts that publishers can produce through the use of computer-based printing. This reduces the number of "standard" books being sold and also severely curtails the used book market. The market size is critical. Technical books simply do not have the volume of novels, and any factor that reduces the market size has major ramifications in cost.

There is also the issue of software offerings that come along with some texts that support the instructor and are reflected in the price of the book itself.

But all of that aside, the cost of technical books is out of control. Books that sold for $10-$15 years ago now sell for ten times that amount -- basically the same books, by the same authors.

This seems to vary substantially with publisher.

I think that there are several problems.

One is the captive customer base that you note.

Another relates to the use of "customized" texts that publishers can produce through the use of computer-based printing. This reduces the number of "standard" books being sold and also severely curtails the used book market. The market size is critical. Technical books simply do not have the volume of novels, and any factor that reduces the market size has major ramifications in cost.

There is also the issue of software offerings that come along with some texts that support the instructor and are reflected in the price of the book itself.

But all of that aside, the cost of technical books is out of control. Books that sold for $10-$15 years ago now sell for ten times that amount -- basically the same books, by the same authors.

This seems to vary substantially with publisher.

Right I agree, but I think we are moving towards making this moot. Online media and PDF/e-readers are making the print industry much smaller than it used to, and I think textbooks are going to follow this trend.

There will be barely any overhead to PDF/online books, other than the price of labor of the author, the editors and the staff, which is what the book-money should go to ANYWAYS.

It's very frustrating, but I think we're getting to a point where it's going to get better, whether the publishers want to or not.. they'll either have to cooperate, or face serious problems. The same seemed to happen with the music industry. Everyone were panicking and fighting against online music and thefts, until the music industry decided to get off its high horse, stop ignoring reality, and take ADVANTAGE of the new tech. Instead of fighting the inevitable, they endorsed it in such a way where they actually make money off of it.

And buying a full CD online is, most of the time, cheaper than buying an actual CD, and the music industry's use of the medium is paying off.

~mooey

Right I agree, but I think we are moving towards making this moot. Online media and PDF/e-readers are making the print industry much smaller than it used to, and I think textbooks are going to follow this trend.

There will be barely any overhead to PDF/online books, other than the price of labor of the author, the editors and the staff, which is what the book-money should go to ANYWAYS.

It's very frustrating, but I think we're getting to a point where it's going to get better, whether the publishers want to or not.. they'll either have to cooperate, or face serious problems. The same seemed to happen with the music industry. Everyone were panicking and fighting against online music and thefts, until the music industry decided to get off its high horse, stop ignoring reality, and take ADVANTAGE of the new tech. Instead of fighting the inevitable, they endorsed it in such a way where they actually make money off of it.

And buying a full CD online is, most of the time, cheaper than buying an actual CD, and the music industry's use of the medium is paying off.

~mooey

I'm not so sure. In many classes detailed notes in pdf form are provided by faculty now, but the textbook problem remains. I personally find the electronic format inconvenient for scientific texts which, unlike novels are often not read linearly. I flip back and forth in texts at a rate and frequency that is very difficult with an electronic copy. I like having the books permanently on my shelf, rather than renting them for a limited time.

That said, many universities have entered into arrangements with electronic media companies for rentals to students of electronic texts. I also admit to having a large set of electronic files of papers, notes and some public-domain books. I am quite sure this trend will only accelerate. But I am not convinced that it will solve the problem completely. It may spell the end of the most specialized and lowest volume science books.

• 1 month later...

I strongly oppose download ebooks illegally from the internet. That's not only infringe intelectual property but also make you disregard that book. I used to encourage my friends to find and download ebooks from the internet, providing them the links of the sites where they can download free, but then they forget immediately and never read them. I think it would be better paying for a book legally and you will remember the money you pay, so remember the book you have to read!

• 3 weeks later...