Let's merge !

Hal.

I doubt it.

Considering the economic pickle the EU is currently in, the US's fierce independence, and the stark differences between the political atmosphere in the States and in Europe, I doubt we'd get along very well.

And, even if the US did want to, the US doesn't meet many of their requirements. So even if we wanted to, we'd have to make some drastic changes.

Noooooo thank you. To be able to join, they'd have to shove their right to bear arms somewhere where the sun doesn't shine. I know that guns don't kill people. People kill people. But the guns do make it a lot easier and also enlarge the chance for the killing to be unintended.

I'd like to see Obama explain to the American public that taxes have to go up a bit because they have to fund subsidies for French farmers and new infrastructure in Eastern Europe.

I'd also love to see Obama explain that they should open up the borders to all Europeans, who then can suddenly stay and work in the US for 3 months without any permits (or, have a 100% guarantee to get a work permit).

I'd enjoy very much to see the US join our 20-20-20 agreements.

How would the US public react to the EU elections, where they would have the chance to vote for the succeeders of actual communists?

:)

Noooooo thank you. To be able to join, they'd have to shove their right to bear arms somewhere where the sun doesn't shine. I know that guns don't kill people. People kill people. But the guns do make it a lot easier and also enlarge the chance for the killing to be unintended.

I am not sure, are there EU-wide gun regulations?

There is also EU legislation on the use of the death penalty, torture, and inhumane treatment that are not optional (non-derogable).

Yeah, Guantanamo Bay would probably have to close. But from a practical point of view, that's hardly a problem. It's only a problem from a US-political point of view. And if the USA would join the EU, politics would most certainly have to change anyway.

Yes, there are (click for summary of EU law).

And yes, Brussels demands that the individual member states change their own laws to comply with the EU law.

Thanks, I was not aware of that. Appears to be somewhat newish (in the glacial time frame of the EU). I only remember that I was quite dismayed to learn that Germany (despite all the restrictions for firearms) did not have central register.