Something to think about?

rigney

This doesn't just apply to Americans, people!.

They "all" come and go like leaves in the snow of a winters blustery storm.

Blown from the trees by a terrible breeze, mans unyeilding thirst for power?

Try to have good memories of this Memorial Day. The link below may spread some conscience.

Edited by rigney

I was surprised at the predominance of Anglo-Saxon names, which seem to make up a greater proportion of that total than I am accustomed to see on other rosters, such as among the names of students registered to take a class, for example. Is that because so many soldiers are Blacks?

Also, it is striking what a disproportionate number of casualties occur among sergeants, who are both active in leading the troops but not far enough away from the front to be safe, like the officers.

But what view to take of the casualties is another question. If you see America's current wars as truly unavoidable humanitarian interventions or necessary actions in self-defense, then the roster of those who have died in these struggles seems quite different from how they appear if you see America's wars as imperialist adventures in service of America's global self-aggrandizement. But even if the latter is the correct interpretation, many of those who die even in a theoretically all-volunteer army are more victims of circumstance than international plunderers, since poverty, unemployment, lack of alternative opportunities, limited education and its concommitant limitation of critical perspective and intellectual horizon have all contributed to pushing them into military service.

Marat

Quark I was surprised at the predominance of Anglo-Saxon names, which seem to make up a greater proportion of that total than I am accustomed to see on other rosters, such as among the names of students registered to take a class, for example. Is that because so many soldiers are Blacks?

No! Our military isn't overly populated with Blacks. College enrollment? I would rather think that many blacks prefer an education as an alternative to war.

Also, it is striking what a disproportionate number of casualties occur among sergeants, who are both active in leading the troops but not far enough away from the front to be safe, like the officers.

I suggest you read up a bit more on how our military engages an enemy.

Edited by rigney

I'm only asking questions about the regularities noted. Most historians partially explain the disastrous performance of the Austro-Hungarian forces in World War I from the high death-rate among sergeants in the very first phase of the fighting, as a result of the failure initially to understand how the increase in firepower had required a change in military tactics, which was only fully worked out circa 1917. If anyone could explain the high proportion of sergeants on the roster above it would be interesting.

Also, what does account for the high number of Anglo names? I thought the U.S. military was now increasingly Hispanic, but not the death list.

WTF?

"I was surprised at the predominance of Anglo-Saxon names"

"Is that because so many soldiers are Blacks?"

One thing about Anglo Saxons seems to have slipped your notice; they are not black.

Surely a predominance of Anglo Saxon names (whatever that might mean) indicates that they are mainly of Anglo Saxon descent.

A better way of assessing the number of black soldiers might possibly be to look at the pictures. There are about 10 black faces among about 50.

Edited by John Cuthber

rigney & John C, ditto's to your comments and Marat, even Charles Rangel has got off that boat.

In my day we basically all served in the service of our country, with the idea this was a patriotic civil responsibility. Today I hold the utmost respect for any person who voluntarily joins a military entity or for that matter participates in the political system, though to a lesser degree.

If anyone could explain the high proportion of sergeants on the roster above it would be interesting.

Also, what does account for the high number of Anglo names? I thought the U.S. military was now increasingly Hispanic, but not the death list. [/Quote]

Even though the list offered represents a short period of time, I'm sure over time you will find many squadron leaders have fallen, while LEADING the fight.

As for "Hispanic Names", I'll tell you a the same thing I told the Government in the early seventies (not yesterday), while operating a small business in South Texas. They had accused me of not hiring enough Latino's, in an area 50% Latino, but in fact of the 30 or so working for me, the 20 that were Latino's were or had been married to Anglo's, including my wife who ran that portion of the business. In fact if you go back to some old list, one of those dead Anglo names, was my first born (1957-1979, USAF), yet looked Mexican and was certainly raised in that culture.

Jackson, no one but you, your wife and family can feel the pain of losing a son. But there are always those out here who just don't seem to get the message. As you, I did my service time; never giving it a thought. Fortunately we are both still here. For some, Memorial Day is just another paid holiday. Thank goodness most folks in this nation still revere it as a day of mourning for our lost military, family members and close friends. If it should deviates from that cource, I really don't want to be around to see it.

Edited by rigney