so strange is my circle

griffithsuk

grab yourself a cd case and something like an empty cigrette packet or simular.

hold the cd case out close infront of you so its flat and place the cigarette packet on top.

If you now spin around correctly the cigarette packet will not fly off however fast you spin. start slowly and no sudden accelarations

Why is this?

Am i famous now? Griffiths's circle maybe?

Edited by griffithsuk

No. Sorry, it's the same principle as when you fill a bucket with water and then spin it in a vertical circle. The water won't fall out. It's Newtonian physics. I think. One of the 1st 3 laws I hope.

thats different, thats enertia keeping the water in the bucket. mine is free to fly off but it does not if you do it correctly.

infact its the opposite, the enertia would make it fly off.

do you fell dizzy?

Think i have you all here. ive been thinking about this for a week or so now, its just so strange. Another great science party trick!

Edited by griffithsuk

thats different, thats enertia keeping the water in the bucket. mine is free to fly off but it does not if you do it correctly.

infact its the opposite, the enertia would make it fly off.

do you fell dizzy?

Think i have you all here. ive been thinking about this for a week or so now, its just so strange. Another great science party trick!

Haha, you mean your spinning around the disk? dizzy yet?

Haha, you mean your spinning around the disk? dizzy yet?

no, spin around like an ice skater. its the first science dance move :)

Shocking science!Just can't belive it to be true. Anyone any ideas why?

Edited by griffithsuk

What Schrödinger's hat means is that we need a better explanation.

What do you do, and what happens?

Oh, sorry mate.

It's simple hold the cd case out like a drinks tray keeping it flat, put the object on the tray.

Spin gently around around like a kid, try so the object does not fly off.

once you get good at it you can spin around twice a second and it wont fly off. remember to keep the cd case completly flat.

Strange...

Edited by griffithsuk

If I understand correctly, I think the force you're looking for is friction between the object and cd case. Probably assisted with.slight, probably unconscious tilting of the case.

im spinning quite fast mate. have a practice with different objects. different weights.

It seems to me that the CD case must be tilted so that the object sitting on it doesn't fly off. Perhaps this is done subconsciously. Perhaps one of you mathematicians would like to come up with an angle appropriate to arms length and practical speed of rotation. I wonder if this is some kind of joke where the OP is trying to get as many people feeling giddy as he/she can!?

Edited by TonyMcC

Look, you provide the object initial balance. You move yourself, and keep the case tilted such as it wont fly off at the first spin. It would, no doubt, oppose motion but because of application of force it would move. Both are now considered a single object. Later, due ti inertia, even if you spin twice the speed, it wouldn't fall.

I think the OP claims that he is located at the center and the CD casing with cigarette packet on top are spinning around him at arm's length.

It is obvious that the OP is withholding some information, deliberately misinforming us about something, or is just joking. We're trying to figure out what's going on. I just posted another suggestion.

Maybe he's first dropped a little drop of superglue on the CD box, then placed the object on the glue. Then started spinning, and got dizzy?

The OP himself suggested we're dealing with a party trick.

Edited by CaptainPanic

If the center of mass of the object is exactly at the center of the CD, it won't fly out. Isn't it?

-----------------

edit

Griffiths's circle maybe?

"Don't disturb my circles". Do you know who said that?

Edited by michel123456

It's a party trick that works. It won't fly off as long as you don't accelerate more than what the friction keeps it back, other than that you can spin around as fast as you like seriously, im getting good at at.

Im either producing gravity, circles are magical things or theres a new type of physical relativity thing going on here? Things relative to each other has some sort of effect? Or something to do with inertia?

Something to think about here...

It's a party trick like resting one side of a bike wheels spindle on your finger and giving the wheel a spin, it works!

Guess I should say a party fact not trick.

I think the OP claims that he is located at the center and the CD casing with cigarette packet on top are spinning around him at arm's length.

You got it! If your not at arms length it's a bit easyier though as it's not so sensitive.

Physical Relativity! I think!

Edited by griffithsuk

It's just friction...

There's nothing new here.

Yes, it turns out it is just friction, just call m dumb n dumber. Shame though.

Anyways my gravity problem arose from how can a moon traveling about 3500mph not fly off when gravity's only over 100mph on earth?

If gravity is weaker out in space then that should make it worse. The forces don't seem to work out for me.

Anyone answer this?

Edited by dumber

!

Moderator Note

FYI griffithsuk/dumber are sockpuppets of infinitesolid and gafferuk, et. al, who has previously posted serious and persistent misunderstandings of gravity with no improvement in comprehension. The sockpuppets have been banned.

Nothing more to see here.