Does Cen***ship P*** yo* Of* ?

Hal.

Stefan, what does post #11 mean? One of the great things about the US is that hate speech is legal -- in contrast to most nannying European states and Canada -- unless it falls under the very narrow terms of incitement to a criminal act, such as shouting racial slurs to an angry crowd on the lawn of some minority member. Not that I approve of hate speech, but I just don't like living in a society which feels that it can judge what is a legitimate negative generalization about a group, such as 'pygmies are bad basketball players,' and what is not, such as 'all men are rapists.' (oops, I guess that is now officially accepted: it is just something like 'all women are stupid' that is hate speech.) On a private forum, of course, you can forbid anything you like to those using it at your license.

It seems ironic that words are being censored in a discussion about censorship. Doesn't that violate the Russell-Whitehead theory of types by applying first-order rules to a second-order discussion? Also, why is it that some people get an attack of the vapors when they see the word 'f--k' spelled out, but they are all right with it if they see it as I have just written it? They know what it means in both cases, but it somehow only has its effect if it is literally spelled out rather than just recognized and understood?

It seems ironic that words are being censored in a discussion about censorship. Doesn't that violate the Russell-Whitehead theory of types by applying first-order rules to a second-order discussion? Also, why is it that some people get an attack of the vapors when they see the word 'f--k' spelled out, but they are all right with it if they see it as I have just written it? They know what it means in both cases, but it somehow only has its effect if it is literally spelled out rather than just recognized and understood?

I've often wondered why some words seem to incite such a horrific response under some conditions and illicit quite another under different conditions when the words basically mean the same thing. I have in my life whispered the so called F bomb into womens ears with certain words before and after it and received quite a different response than when I've said the same word to the same women with different words before or after it even though none of the extra words were in any way bad or demeaning. I mean if the word F--k p-ss-s you off when it's said one way why not the other and why if i smash my finger and SHOUT F--K! I get a completely different response than if for instance a I loose my pen and just say f--k out loud? F--k is a perfectly good Anglo-Saxon word, why is it hated so much? Frak it! BSG for those of you who are not literate in science fiction vernacular. :doh:

Remember shoot is just shit with two o's

How about "rapports sexuels" nah, doesn't quite have the same ambiance, maybe baiser?

Edited by Moontanman

I've often wondered why some words seem to incite such a horrific response under some conditions and illicit quite another under different conditions when the words basically mean the same thing. I have in my life whispered the so called F bomb into womens ears with certain words before and after it and received quite a different response than when I've said the same word to the same women with different words before or after it even though none of the extra words were in any way bad or demeaning. I mean if the word F--k p-ss-s you off when it's said one way why not the other and why if i smash my finger and SHOUT F--K! I get a completely different response than if for instance a I loose my pen and just say f--k out loud? F--k is a perfectly good Anglo-Saxon word, why is it hated so much? Frak it! BSG for those of you who are not literate in science fiction vernacular. :doh:

Remember shoot is just shit with two o's

How about "rapports sexuels" nah, doesn't quite have the same ambiance, maybe baiser?

I've never been a fan of the fword. I just find it degrading especially in a family oriented forum which is why I asked. I would rather see someone post #$%& which delivers the same message rather than the ones you listed. I've been to forums that are so heavy with the fwords that I automatically relate it to a persons character, not a persons intelligence, just their character and that means a lot to me personally.

I'm going to poke around in the weeks ahead but right now I'm in my final year of nursing college, interning/studying at my local hospital and hope to have my RN license by Dec/Jan. I want to take my psych course over again this summer since it's my only low grade. (B+)

Is Martin still active here? I remember he was a really nice guy in the Cosmology/Physics section?

Bettina

We , in our country were so tired of hearing the Fword , that we invented another Fword that was spelt like the original Fword but instead of a letter u , it has a letter e . This allows us to say plenty of happy vulgar sounding approximations without being vulgar .