Application of Coffe in Chemical Practice

Dan_Ny

It is quite common between chemists to consume large amounts of coffee while doing lab work and/or writing scientific essays and I just wanted to ask everybody how they feel about the application of high doses of caffeine in science. After all I heard, the whole issue is double-edged. Naturally, being one of the most healthy stimulants, caffeine will give you and your mind a burst of energy to perform well (especially in the morning). Plus, coffee is said to contain a number of antioxidants which have a positive effect on your health and metabolism.

On the other hand, caffeine certainly draws water from you body which - unless compensated - never is a good thing.

Now I am not sure about the long-term effects of caffeine to various organs of the body, first of all the brain. Does anybody know more about that? Just from my feeling, it can't be good. But once you're addicted... well.

I would be happy to see the opinion of others regarding this highly important scientific issue! :D

Edited by Dan_Ny

First of all coffee is hardly a diuretic at all (as formerly believed). There are a number of studies regarding health benefits (including reduced risk of stroke, for example) of coffee but at also at least one where I think heart attack risk was higher.

Most were association studies, IIRC and while in case of reducing type II diabetes risk there are proposed mechanisms, the details are unknown.

Tea leaves contain more caffeine but in the usual way it is brewed less will be extracted per cup than coffee.

Withdrawal effects to caffeine depend on a number of factors, including genetic disposition. I am a heavy drinker, but going without for months at a time did not result in any symptoms or cravings (as I was simply not able to get decent coffee for a long while).

But as usual, you mileage may vary.

Edited by CharonY

I think that critics against coffe fell out a bit hard here. I've never observed any additcion with myself, even when I stopped drinking coffe for more than a week a couple of times - pherhaps i was a bit tired the first couple of days compared to the usual coffee-driven awakeness the days befor, but that's about it.

I did not want to give the impression that it is my believe every chemist is a coffee drinker, horza, rather just wanted to point out the fact that coffee is used by many of my labmates and by myself as a tool for example to get awake some morning.

My ideal picture of the responsible coffee drinker is, in the end, someone, who knows the benefits of this unique drink and is able to use that to his or her advantage (e.g. in times that require high performance). If you don't drink coffee regularly, but only, when you want to be productive, imho you can benefit most.

I think that critics against coffe fell out a bit hard here. I've never observed any additcion with myself, even when I stopped drinking coffe for more than a week a couple of times - pherhaps i was a bit tired the first couple of days compared to the usual coffee-driven awakeness the days befor, but that's about it.

thoughts: everyone has different metabolisms, so its possible you are not easily addicted.

However, people are also bad and judging whether or not they are addicted.

I hadn't been a regular coffee drinker for many years, I would simply drink coffee if there was a luncheon or something that had some. I started to drink Starbucks Americanos during a stint in film school, I would get a Venti and woah. I started drinking coffee regularly before work everyday but it took me a long time to get over the panic attacks it induced. I don't think there are many who will say this but for me on occasions I felt as though I might die; serial.

I had always noticed that if I had had a coffee a few days in a row and then I didn't have one I would get a pretty serious migraine. Now that I drink the stuff daily and in the near quantity of a litre and have stopped having the panic attacks and such, I have most definitely noticed my addiction. I quit smoking cigarettes many years ago and the withdrawal is in no way the same, but the most noticeable thing for me is the face splitting headache. I regularly get these headaches regardless, if I don't sleep right or if I am sick or whatever, but it never fails if I don't have my coffee by noon I am in some serious pain.

As a plant, but not as a drink.

If caffeine is so addictive, how come I guzzle cola all week at work and yet do without any caffeine at the weekends?

Unhindered by any real knowledge about addictions, I postulate that a coffee addiction is mostly a mindset, and very often not really physical. But this mindset can have effects which are very much like the addictions described... meaning that you can show withdrawal symptoms and all. Occupy the mind with something other than coffee, and the craving disappears. It's not as physically addictive as most people think.

Drinking coffee, or smoking cigarettes, it's just a habit. As soon as I break my daily routines, and do something different, I can suddenly function properly without coffee. But if I have a very standard day in the office, I want my coffee.

For some people, I think there is a physcial addiction. My parents are one example. When they go away on holiday and stop drinking umpteen cups of tea a day, they both get very bad headaches that take days to clear up if left alone. However, one cup of tea or a can of coke and the headaches are gone within the hour. Fortunatly, I don't drink tea or coffee so I don't have to put up with the same.

Unhindered by any real knowledge about addictions, I postulate that a coffee addiction is mostly a mindset, and very often not really physical. But this mindset can have effects which are very much like the addictions described... meaning that you can show withdrawal symptoms and all. Occupy the mind with something other than coffee, and the craving disappears. It's not as physically addictive as most people think.

Drinking coffee, or smoking cigarettes, it's just a habit. As soon as I break my daily routines, and do something different, I can suddenly function properly without coffee. But if I have a very standard day in the office, I want my coffee.

thank you cap'n. your words are a blessing for my coffee-drunken soul.