Pi sucks

ydoaPs

..all this time... And I never knew... It's so...ugly.

Why has this NOT been fixed already?

You don't see it until it's pointed out and then it's so obvious. [imath]\tau[/imath] is much more elegant and feels ever so more natural.

14-3 is NOT pie-day, you America-centric insensitive clod! ;)

The insensitive clod remark might only be funny for slashdot readers...

Using your infernal system, we would NEVER have a pi day. This just shows how superior and awesome America is to every other country. :D

This reminds me of other stupid conventions like engineers drawing current flow in the direction the electrons are not going!

Forcing me to reverse sign convention every time I do electrochemistry. Thanks a lot guys :angry:. However I will give credit where credit is due, they did devise the gradian system which I don't use but find to be quite clever.

Edited by mississippichem

Trigonometry derives from circles but finds most of its applications in triangles derived within the concept. I think that changing to Tau, not only being a massive undertaking in the challenge of rewriting all that we know, would have consequences on the maths that we take for granted already. I think these arguments are being presented without regard to the potential implications if the reverse were true. I haven't really reflected on what these implications would be so I could very well be speculating.

The most immediate thing that I can think of is when calculating given standard angles. Pi/12 is not as happy a number as Pi/6. The effects on positive and negative swings and how readily this is perceived when Pi is given in terms of diameter and being a half of a circle in terms of radii. A full bridge rectification would then have to be Tau/2 cycles, :o oh my.

I'm sure there are really good reasons for having chosen Pi over Tau as this is the first question that comes to mind when Pi is presented, why Pi not Tau? With the depth of Mathematics that has been achieved it would be kind of bemusing if such an oversight has actually taken place.

I really like the video though!

Surface area equation would suck in terms of Tau ... I'm slow forgive me :|

Edited by Xittenn

I think that changing to Tau, not only being a massive undertaking in the challenge of rewriting all that we know, would have consequences on the maths that we take for granted already.

I don't think that it would. This page does a pretty good job of explaining why.

I'm sure there are really good reasons for having chosen Pi over Tau as this is the first question that comes to mind when Pi is presented, why Pi not Tau?

It's more natural than pi. It's similar to unit choice for physics. By picking natural units in physics, we can make the equations cleaner and more elegant(dropping off c everywhere since our units make c=1). Think of all the equations that call for 2pi times whatever. It seems that the way the world works is more into tau than pi.

Surface area equation would suck in terms of Tau ... I'm slow forgive me :|

Distance fallen: [imath]\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/imath]

Spring energy: [imath]\frac{1}{2}kx^2[/imath]

Kinetic energy: [imath]\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/imath]

Circular area: [imath]\frac{1}{2}\tau{r^2}[/imath]

Not only does the equation not suck, it seems to fit into a pattern some would say adds to tau's elegance.

Edited by ydoaPs

I don't think that it would. This page does a pretty good job of explaining why.

It's more natural than pi. It's similar to unit choice for physics. By picking natural units in physics, we can make the equations cleaner and more elegant(dropping off c everywhere since our units make c=1). Think of all the equations that call for 2pi times whatever. It seems that the way the world works is more into tau than pi.

Distance fallen: [imath]\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/imath]

Spring energy: [imath]\frac{1}{2}kx^2[/imath]

Kinetic energy: [imath]\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/imath]

Circular area: [imath]\frac{1}{2}\tau{r^2}[/imath]

Not only does the equation not suck, it seems to fit into a pattern some would say adds to tau's elegance.

Please don't kill Kenny :/

[edit] later that day [edit]

This is like peer pressure, I'll do it :)

Edited by Xittenn

I asked my math professor about this whole business. Surprisingly, he's against it.

I do not advocate such a change. The reason is not merely historical convention. One could just as easily select

other formula or rewrite existing formula in different ways to make the use of one constant or another more or less

palatable.

A similar argument might be made about writing the composition of functions in a consistent manner, say, from

left to right, the way we read. What before was written

sin(x)

now becomes

x sin.

These things are merely convention and notation, but it is nice to have a common language of discourse

so that people, already finding communication difficult, do not make it more difficult.

Edited by A Tripolation

I asked my math professor about this whole business. Surprisingly, he's against it.

He misses the point. The convention x sin doesn't make understanding trig any easier. The argument is that tau is both more intuitive and more useful than pi. Convention is a bad argument for a reasonable change (ok, other than it would be a costly change).

I'm sure there are plenty of these conventions in every scientific (and other) disciplines. For example, labeling the direction of current opposite the flow of electrons in a current, misnaming of dozens of proteins in cell bio because they were named before the complete function was understood, etc.

He misses the point. The convention x sin doesn't make understanding trig any easier. The argument is that tau is both more intuitive and more useful than pi. Convention is a bad argument for a reasonable change (ok, other than it would be a costly change).

I'm sure there are plenty of these conventions in every scientific (and other) disciplines. For example, labeling the direction of current opposite the flow of electrons in a current, misnaming of dozens of proteins in cell bio because they were named before the complete function was understood, etc.

And like his teacher said... we keep those conventions despite their problems, as changing them would cause a lot of confusion.

• 11 months later...