We found one new planet!

Elena Folisa

Recently i found one excellent blog, and most articles in it looks nice, so here i quote one from it and share it to all of us.

Scientists found one largest planet at the edge of the solar system

5bbcfb19ce.jpg

As a researcher, particularly in the universe researchers, for the minor solar system all the circumstances which arise, they will be treated with caution and considered.

Recently, scientists believe they may have the edge in the solar system discovered a new planet, its quality or 4 times that of Jupiter. Its orbit from the sun is thousands of times the Earth from the Sun, which has perhaps the reason that people have not yet found it.

post-38733-0-90713100-1297763283_thumb.jpg

Edited by swansont
copyright

IMHO, someone has badly managed to confuse the binary Kuiper belt object 1998 WW31 with the Nemesis hypothesis.

1998 WW31 is old news, it was discovered 1998 and that it has a satellite was found out 2001. This system are much much smaller than the Pluto & Charon system, it does NOT contain any Tyche star or a very large planet.

Discovery of a satellite around the transneptunian object 1998 WW31

Alain Doressoundiram (Observatoire de Paris) and Christian Veillet (CFH Institute) have just discovered that the transneptunian object 1998 WW31 is in fact a double object. It is during their multi-color photometry and recovery of transneptunian objects program that they made this discovery.

The transneptunian objects are small bodies of the Solar system located beyond the orbit of Neptune, at more than 30 astronomical units from the Sun (1 astronomical unit = distance Sun-Earth). They are icy bodies, very primitive as fossil remnants of the formation of the Solar system, 4.6 billion years ago.

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=4737

[EDIT]

Maybe the thread should be moved to Speculations.

Edited by Spyman

Rant on.

Sorry for the repeated edits.

I really hate the way this new forum software mangles what I write. It apparently is trying to be "What you see is what you get ." This is not the case.

This system instead follows the "What you see is kinda like what you get" paradigm. The underlying software apparently randomly routs posts to either the surprise party module or the practical jokes module. What you get depends on which module gets your post.

Rant off.

Recently i found one excellent blog, and most articles in it looks nice, so here i quote one from it and share it to all of us.

You really shouldn't do that. It is OK to quote a small part as a teaser, but it is not OK to quote the whole thing.

This is anything but an excellent blog. It is extremely poorly written. It looks to me that someone wrote the article in some language other than English and then used google translator to feed the blog. Evidence: It starts with the title of this blog article, "Scientists found one largest planet at the edge of the solar system." I suspect what happened is that someone google-translated an overly sensation article in The Independent (a British newspaper) to some other language, added some graphics from wikipedia, and translated back to English.

So, what is this about? John Matese has been looking for evidence of a large body in the Oort cloud for a long time. His most recent publication on this topic is "Persistent evidence of a jovian mass solar companion in the Oort cloud", Icarus 211:2, 926-938 (February 2011). Article link: doi:10.1016/j.icarus.2010.11.009. An eprint is at the arXiv, http://arxiv.org/abs/1004.4584.

Lisa Grossman, "Dark Jupiter May Haunt Edge of Solar System," Wired Science, 29 Nov 2010

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/11/oort-cloud-companion/

A century of comet data suggests a dark, Jupiter-sized object is lurking at the solar system's outer edge and hurling chunks of ice and dust toward Earth.

Lisa starts out somewhat cautious here, and ends with a quote from Matese,

"We anticipate that this WISE is going to falsify or verify our conjecture," he said. "We just have to be patient."

The Wired Science article isn't too bad. It acknowledges that this is conjectural. Not all such articles do.

Paul Rogers, "Up telescope! Search begins for giant new planet," The Independent, 13 Feb 2011

http://www.independe...et-2213119.html

If you grew up thinking there were nine planets and were shocked when Pluto was demoted five years ago, get ready for another surprise. There may be nine after all, and Jupiter may not be the largest.

This overly sensationalistic article in The Independent has spawned a bunch of spinoff articles. Here's one:

Jesus Diaz, "The Mystery of the Giant Planet Hidden In Our Solar System," Gizmodo.com, 14 Fen 2011

http://gizmodo.com/#...ur-solar-system

There's a giant planet right here, hiding in our Solar System. One that nobody has ever seen, even while it is four times larger than Jupiter and has rings and moons orbiting it.

There are even worse ones out there; I won't go into those.

Here's Phil Plait's take on this imbroglio:

Phil Plait, "No, there's no proof of a giant planet in the outer solar system,"

Here is a wired science article, not quite so sensationalistic, Bad Astronomy Blog, 14 Feb 2011

http://blogs.discove...tem/#more-28256

I'm getting a lot of email and tweets about NASA supposedly having proof of a giant, Jupiter-sized planet orbiting the Sun way beyond Pluto. Let me be clear: while certainly
possible
, this idea is not at all proven, and in my opinion still pretty unlikely.

If you want a good blog on astronomy, Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy Blog is right up there at the top.

Edited by D H

Rant on.

Sorry for the repeated edits.

I really hate the way this new forum software mangles what I write. It apparently is trying to be "What you see is what you get ." This is not the case.

This system instead follows the "What you see is kinda like what you get" paradigm. The underlying software apparently randomly routs posts to either the surprise party module or the practical jokes module. What you get depends on which module gets your post.

Rant off.

It looks like the WYSIWYG editor will be completely revamped for the next version, so let's hope that improves things. In the mean time, you can go to My Settings and uncheck "Enable visual (RTE) editor?" to prevent it from attempting to outsmart you.

I've had to fight with the editor a good bit -- you should see what it took to get LaTeX working.

It looks like the WYSIWYG editor will be completely revamped for the next version, so let's hope that improves things. In the mean time, you can go to My Settings and uncheck "Enable visual (RTE) editor?" to prevent it from attempting to outsmart you.

Ah. Much better. My thoughts on the current WYSIKSWYG/WYSIPINWYG (what you see is kinda, sorta what you get / what you see in preview is not what you get) editor are [expletive deleted].

• 2 weeks later...