'Son of Star Wars' Upgrade for UK

Sayonara

The RAF air base at Flyingdales, Yorkshire, is to receive radar software and hardware upgrades to bring it up to spec with the rest of the "Son of Star Wars" system, it was announced yesterday.

The UK has now formally - and controversially - agreed to host the system on behalf of the US as part of a missile detection screen designed to give the USA an early warning of incoming attacks from the East.

Read the full article here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2729029.stm

That thing is up the road from me :-(

Originally posted by PogoC7

I was thinking of writing something like that. But you put it better. Our security depends on a warning coming from the U.K.?

What are the british getting from this?

We don't get anything from it. At least, nothing the Government would admit to.

And the reason it's us is because we're one of the few countries prepared to make ourselves into a huge target on behalf of our allies, the USA. So quit whining.

Originally posted by Sayonara³

We don't get anything from it. At least, nothing the Government would admit to.

And the reason it's us is because we're one of the few countries prepared to make ourselves into a huge target on behalf of our allies, the USA. So quit whining.

The reason is; the U.K. is the second most powerful country in the World. If someone tries to mess with the U.S. or Britian they fell the wrath of both powers.

Regarding the missle shield. DON'T THINK I WAS WHINING, but what range do these detectors have. Could they detect a missle from anywhere or just one flying over the Atlantic. They must have some satellite componients to this shield.

What I think Britian will get from this is that it will become the next country to carry a shield, if this one poves succesfully. I don't know why we even need shields. Soon every country will want one and we will have the same problem as we have with Nuclear weapons; in fifty years.

Pogo, when I said "quit whining", I was making with the funny.

I have serious doubts the missile shield will work anyway so I wouldn't worry about where this particular detection station is positioned.

What is going on with news item images?

Speaking of news images, there should be a way to attach images and have them displayed in the right place, rather than relying on the other servers that host the images.. just a thought:/

I tried attaching an image to another thread, but vB wouldn't process the call.

• 2 months later...

was just reading over this thread and i thought i should point something out. someone asked what britain is getting from this. well, britian is getting one of its radar facilities upgraded and vastly improved all at the expense of the US taxpayer! how could we refuse. you pay for our defence, we sit back and become a target for US nuclear attacks. :mad: some good some bad. this facility will automatically report to the US nuclear comman infrastructure if it detects an incoming ICBM but will act as a day to day radar station for the UK the rest of the time.

Fafalone - qualify your statement please. Do you distrust Britain? Do you think we are incompetent? Do you think we are dishonourable? Do you think we don't know our arse from our elbow? What exactly?