I am Puzzled at What is Meant by a Chill

jimmydasaint

I tend to get what I would call cold symptoms, regularly if I go out on a cold day. Even after 20 minutes outside in the cold, I will regularly end up with cold-like symptoms. However, my wife insists on calling these symptoms (blocked nose, occasional sneezing) 'chills' rather than colds.

So what is the matter?

Do I manifest the symptoms of cold viruses inside me that have been 'waiting' inside me, or are these 'chills' related, instead, to inflammation of the mucus membranes of the nose which copy the effect of having an actual cold without all the symptoms

"Caught a chill" is a misnomer, left over from the still-somewhat-prevalent notion that cold air causes an illness. Cold air is generally dry, and that can irritate the nose. But colds are viruses, and are passed on by contact with it, which tends to happen more in cold weather and people spend time shut indoors together.

This is not so much inflammation but changes in the blood flow within the nasal passages. The circulation of the nasal mucosa is very sensitive to small changes in temperature and this can increase the chances of sneezing, blocked and runny nose and even nosebleeds. Also, 'chill' is usually associated with fever which is the result of an actual (viral) infection.

This is not so much inflammation but changes in the blood flow within the nasal passages. The circulation of the nasal mucosa is very sensitive to small changes in temperature and this can increase the chances of sneezing, blocked and runny nose and even nosebleeds. Also, 'chill' is usually associated with fever which is the result of an actual (viral) infection.

Ah. OK! That is interesting. To clarify, a chill is caused by viral infection (cold or influenza viruses, I presume). What I experience is caused by changes in blood flow in the nasal mucosa. Thanks for the information. Just a follow on question please/ What causes the sneezing and runny nose then? References are welcome.