What's with the focus on America?

Cap'n Refsmmat

Well, the US elections are in 50 days, so things are bound to liven up! US politics affect the world in more ways than I can easily count. Plus it's so easy to keep up: Kerry's vietnam record is being questioned. Depending on who I support, all evidence for or against its validity can be expounded or excluded, and I can now join any debate on the current and pending policital issues in the USA.

Incidentally, I'll be in California on the 2nd of November. I would expect to see many shirtless and hairy men running around the streets with boards and slogans, though I'm likely to be in a far more comfortable position at the time, probably driving through Death Valley!

I thought that most were from the UK, since all of the posting is done in the morning MY time, or early afternoon their time.

Not really, there's a fair amount of us (because a lot of us learnt about the site through the PA forums) but I'd say many were from the US - albeit, they probably don't post as often as we do :)

I tend to read a lot of international news on BBC News Online - which is by far the best news portal around these days. Since the US elections are coming up, I'm concentrating more on that than I used to, but I think it's always a good idea to have some idea of what's going on in the world.

Well, every now and then there's a news clip on TV... or for those of us who have digital TV, we get International CNN as well. The papers tend to be a far better source; if you were to open up the Times, then pages 10 to 16 or something would be on the world, the USA, and the US elections respectively (usually with 2 pages for the elections), then page 20 or so is a full page of political articles (usually British, but often US) followed by letters to the editor, most of which are political as well. Both the Times and the Guardian are excellent papers for politics, and you could probably find most of those aticles online.

Plus, the President holds almost absolute power and the Prime Minister is the figurehead of democratic government. Technically, whoever the Prime Minister is, the power is the platform they are provided and the cabinet behind them. In the US the President can more or less dictate to the Government, especially surrounding military activities.

So, the discussions about Blair normally revolve around Cherie Blairs ability to fit a whole babies head in her mouth (suspicious, considering the recent increased disappearances of babies in central London).

Cherie Blair is like the Dark Lord of the Sith. She emanates evil, corrupting those near her. Gordon Brown just had a baby, and Cherie is Tony's agent of evil. If Brown attempts to take over the cabinet, Cherie will be released into the Browns house (no 11) to hunt down and eat the child. Both Ian Duncan Smith and William Hague were forced out of the opposition after threats received to send Cherie into their houses whilst they slept.

Cherie in full "I'll eat your baby" mode:-

cherie_blair_145.jpg

Cherie being restrained while attempting an attack:-

wld_cherieblair.jpg

A tiny correction... the President of the United States does not have absolute power, far from it. The US Government is based on the notion of "Separation of Powers"

http://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_sepp.html

There are three branches of the US Government - the Legislative, composed of the House and Senate is set up in Article One of the Constitution:

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html#Article1

The Executive, consisting of the President, Vice President, and the Departments, is set up in Article 2 of the Constitution:

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html#Article2

The Judicial, composed of the Supreme Court and Federal Courts is set up in Article 3.

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html#Article3

The "Separation of Powers" prevents any one division of the government from ruling with an iron fist through a system of "checks and balances".

http://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_cnb.html

The constitution was set up deliberately to keep the president from becoming a dictator. In my humble opinion, who we elect to congress is a more important issue that who we elect as president.

Also - we tend to associate good or bad things that happen to the economy to the administration in power at the time, but cause and effect is far from immediate in government.

OMG! :eek: Are no 10 & no 11 connected buildings? 'Cause with a mouth like that she could go through a wall in no time!

Ha, they are right next door. Sometimes when they can't sleep, the Browns can hear the gnawing in the wallspace. It's very stressful for them.

A tiny correction... the President of the United States does not have absolute power' date=' far from it. The US Government is based on the notion of "Separation of Powers".....................

The constitution was set up deliberately to keep the president from becoming a dictator. [/quote']

Actually, to be correct the US government is based on Baron de Montesquieu interpretation of the British model of democracy, the Magna Carta (1215 ad). The template that the constitution and government have to pass through layers before a bill or law passes is lifted from the British model. The point where it differs (apart from the Senate, instead of the House of Lords etc) in the allocation of power is when the President is made the Supreme head of the Armed Forces. Once in a state of war, the President effectively becomes beyond the control of the government. Hence my quip about a dictator.

In my humble opinion' date=' who we elect to congress is a more important issue that who we elect as president.

Also - we tend to associate good or bad things that happen to the economy to the administration in power at the time, but cause and effect is far from immediate in government. [/quote']

From the point of view of us none US citizens, we don't really care that you have the highest taxes in the world or in your trillion dollar debt the largest deficit in the history of the world. We don't really mind if a law is passed to paint every third persons face green to suit the Religion of your President. We don't really worry about the internal US policy much at all. It's not the ability to affect policy that worries us. What we worry about is the loony in charge of the second largest army in the World, working with impunity from international law to invade countries at will (or at least with Fox and CNN's support).

What we worry about is the loony in charge of the second largest army in the World, working with impunity from international law to invade countries at will (or at least with Fox and CNN's support).

Hmmm.... I guess since I will soon be a guest in your country, I better learn to keep my mouth shut, smile politely, say, "I'm sorry, I really don't care to discuss politics, " and move on.

Hmmm.... I guess since I will soon be a guest in your country, I better learn to keep my mouth shut, smile politely, say, "I'm sorry, I really don't care to discuss politics, " and move on.

Ah, don't worry. We're all very polite and civilized over here.

Well, some of us are anyway ;)

See the thread I just created about slang and expressions.

When I was small, my mother still retained some of her English expressions, and there were sometimes problems when she helped me with my spelling words. As I recall, "colour" and "cheque" were marked as wrong.

I can remember her asking the gas station attention to fill the tank with petrol and check under the bonnet.

She ordered metal for my dad's shop and befuddled the sales people when she asked for "aluminium" (Al u MIN e um).